Jan 17, 2012

Mango Coconut Laddoo and 5000+ hits !!



First of all I want to thank all my lovely readers for helping me achieve this target of 5000+ hits in a short span of 3 months. Each time my blog views increased from 1000 to 2000 to 3000 hits , I kept thinking I should celebrate with you all with a mouthwatering dish but due to several factors which also includes my laziness ;-) I kept putting it off for later. Finally now I got the chance and I want to share this awesome sweet dish with you all.
Also Happy b'lated Sankranti and Pongal to all who celebrated. :-)

Laddoo is a sweet item, usually round or ball shaped and it is commonly served during festivals and special occassions all over India. By the way, I love anything mango flavoured and Mango is my favorite fruit. This laddoo that I am sharing with you is prepared using Mango pulp and grated coconut and flavored with some cardamom (elachi). Since pistachios are another favorite of mine I have added crushed pistachios to the mango flavored laddoo.
I took this recipe by checking several fellow blogger friend's sites who has made this and I made slight changes according to my taste and ingredient availability. It came out really well and Manish who isn't much of a sweets lover really enjoyed these cuties.

Mango Coconut Laddoo Recipe
You'll need
Fresh grated coconut - 2 cups (Can also use frozen shredded coconut or dry coconut flakes)
Mango pulp -1 cup  ( I used the Sweetened Mango pulp)
Condensed milk - 1/4 cup  (actual recipe calls for 3/4 cup, but I used only 1/4 cup)
Pistachios, roasted and unsalted -1/4 cup  ( Gently crushed into small pieces)
Cardamom powder (Elaichi powder) - 1/4 tsp or upto taste preference
For garnishing:
Coconut powder or flakes (unsweetened) - 4-5 tblsp
Pistachios (halved) - 1 for each laddoo

Directions
1. Keep a nonstick pan on medium heat and start by roasting the cocnut until it starts to become dry and the raw smell goes off. (Make sure the coconut is nicely dried but not browned)
2. Next add the mango pulp and keep stirring, as soon the misture starts to dry up add the cardamom powder and keep mixing until it dries up completely.
3. Add the condensed milk and cook till the mixture thickens and leaves the side of the pan. ( It should be able to form a dough on it own when mixed together, thats the consistency you should look for)
4. Add in the chopped or crushed pistachios and mix well and turn off the heat.
5. Make small rounds while the mixture is warm (not hot), but do not allow to cool. ( I took a teaspoon measure and rolled them into small balls)
For garnishing:
1. You may roll them in extra coconut . ( I rolled them in dry coconut powder)
2. Or you may just press in a halved pistachio in the centre of each laddoo.

Important and Useful Tips and Suggestions: 1. By dry coconut powder , I do not mean the powdered form which is used to prepare coconut milk, it has to be slightly flaky or grainy.
2.  a) If using fresh grated coconut : Roast the 2 cups only until the coconut feels dry (as if it is moist it may add more moisture to the laddoo), but do not roast until it turns brown.
     b) If using dry coconut powder / dry coconut flakes : Roast just for 2-3 minutes , only until the raw smell wears off as it is already dry and can hold the mango pulp and condensed milk mixture together.

*** REMEMBER, if your laddoo feel very soft and is not forming a good ball , add some more roasted dry coconut powder (or roast some more fresh grated coconut ) , just 1-2 tsp at a time until the mixture is able to form a firm but soft dough that can be rolled into balls.
Do not wait until the mixture is completely cooled to roll, start rolling while its still warm.
{I have added these tips due to lot of requests and questions on how to make these laddoos and apparently few who made these said it was a super hit!!! Thank You!!! :-) }
This laddo has a nice and mild mango flavor and the coconut gives it a lovely chewyness and its just aptly sweetened from the condensed milk and the mango pulp and the mild cardamom flavor and its aroma brings this sweet dish to a completely different level.. This recipe is definitely a keeper and I'm sure you will love it. 
I shared this with few of my friends and they all called back to say how much they liked it. I made very small laddoos and I was able to make about 30 laddoos , I made them small so that they just a bite size and anyone and everyone can enjoy them without having to feel guilty of eating a large sweet ;-)

And this one is just for you , my most valuable reader :-)

Linking this post to:
1. ABC Series - Desserts happening at Ramya's Recipe

2. Valentines Day event hosted by Anzz @ AnzzCafe

3. "Lets Celebrate - Indian sweets"









-Manju

30 comments:

  1. Awesome recipe..A must try..Bookmarked

    Aarthi
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous ladoos,looks so delicious and tempting....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks similar to mango peda,yummy!!! congrats on the great achievement..

    Erivum Puliyum

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, yum yum laddos...absolutely delicious ones..Congrats on ur milestone..

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow..wow...so delicious one,mango,condensed milk,coconut all yummy ingredients..looks too tempting dear...well presented!!
    Congrats on your milestone !!
    Spicy Treats
    OnGoing Event ~ Dish It Out-Brinjal n Garlic

    ReplyDelete
  6. simply awesome pics :) and lovely and mouth watering and what not.....dunno what to say more :) way to go sis!!! :) muuaaah :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Manju,way to go..laddoos looks super tempting and quite exotic..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! That's a lot of hits in 3 months!! These treats look fabulous and I bet they could be quite addictive too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. congrats on your milestone...wishing many more to come...mango laddoo sounds so unique..stunning pics..would you like to link it with my DESSERTS event

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Ramya, would love to link it to your event...thanks for letting me know.

      Regards,
      Manju

      Delete
    2. thank you for linking with my event

      Delete
  10. congrats /Manju........laddoos look delicious

    ReplyDelete
  11. so wonderful dear! I bookmarked to prepare this week!beautiful pics

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Manju - I have never heard of this recipe and it looks very simple... I will have to wait for next Indian store visit to bring some mango pulp.... Can't wait to try this out..... Specially after seeing the pictures :)
    Nice way to celebrate.... Congratulations.....
    Sharada

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have never made ladoo with mango. Am sure the flavor will be amazing .. something like a mango bomb in the mouth..! Great recipe..!

    My event- Valentines Day Special

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats Manju!!!! Lovely mango laddoos, sounds delicious..
    Thanks for the wishes at my space, I had been in ur followers list from a while I guess. Hope u'll follow me back as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow..I feel like reaching out & grab some..
    lipsmacking cliks
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hy Manju,
    love your space & presentation...
    happy following you..;)
    do stop by mine sometime
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks a lot Manju for visiting my blog and posting your wonderful comments. You have a beautiful blog and the mango laddoos looks simply mouthwatering. Glad to follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mango and condensed milk , can't go wrong ever :-) They look pretty !

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow very tempting ladoos !! I am drooling here !! Thanks dear for dropping by my blog !! Happy to follow u :)

    Ongoing Event - CC-Chocolate Fest

    ReplyDelete
  20. nice idea, thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW!! laddoo looks perfect and congrats for ur milestone in a short term. Keep going.... Happy to follow u.

    ReplyDelete
  22. nice idea....... I have never heard of this recipe and it looks very simple.1st time here..u have a nice space.......

    ReplyDelete
  23. Never Heard of this recipe But its Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Manju, I just made your recipe but the color of mine is brownish green! Help what did I do wrong? The taste is delicious ... but the presentation no! Pls help! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marce,
      I have no idea at all why your mango laddoo would look Brownish Green!!!
      Did you use Mango pulp or fresh mango? If u used fresh mango, was it not ripe and yellow? Did you roast the coconut flakes until they turned Brown? did u add powdered pistachios in your laddo? These are just few questions that come to my mind..
      The coconut flakes shouldn't brown at all...they shud just be warmed up and still be very white in color. Other than this I'm sorry I have no clue how to help. Perhaps if u can share a snap on my facebook page, I could see and mayb help you out, but not very sure of that either.

      Delete
  25. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You so much for visiting here. I would love to hear from you , please leave a comment or suggestion and Hope to see you again !