I'm going to share a really sweet and simple payasam , which is commonly made in my house. My son loves this and can eat it for all 3 meals (which I don't allow him to ofcourse) !!
Semiya payasam can be had warm or cold and the prepartion cannot go wrong. I have added little Sago / Tapioca pearls to thicken the consistency of the payasam. Enjoy and have a wonderful time!
The recipe here makes a pretty decent amount to serve 3-4 people. Double it for more! :-)
Semiya and Sago Payasam Recipe
Vermicelli - 1 cup
Sago / sabhudhana / tapioca pearls - 1/4 cup
Whole Milk - 3 cups
Sugar - 3/4 cup to 1 cup (as per sugar preference)
Cardamom (elachi) powder - 1 tsp (powder from around 3-4 cardamom pods)
Saffron - a pinch (optional)
Ghee - 2 tblsp
Cashews (halved) - 1 tblsp
Raisins - 1 tblsp
Directions1. Soak the tapioca pearls/sago in water for 30mins to 1 hour.
2. Heat the ghee and fry the cashews and rainsins and keep aside.
3. Use the remaining ghee to roast the vermicelli until it turns golden brown .
4. Add the milk, soaked sago, sugar, cardamom powder and saffron strands.
5. Keep stirring and let it come to a boil , also make sure the vermicelli is cooked through and the sago/tapioca perals looks translucent.
6. Finally add the Cashews and Raisins and turn off the heat. Serve it warm or chilled!
1. If the payasam becomes too thick (which it will become once it cools), add more milk or water according to your preference.
So whats your plan this Onam? a full fledged sadhya? :-)