I just used some frozen mixed vegetables (containing carrots, green peas, beans and corn) that I always have in my freezer , one potato and half of a green bell pepper (capsicum) for the mixed veggies. You can use whichever veggies you prefer.
Curried Veg Pulav Recipe
Recipe source : My Own
Basmati rice - 2 cups
Water - 4 cups
Mixed Vegetables ( Carrots, Peas, Beans, Corn, Potato, Bell pepper etc) - 2 cups (cubed into small pieces)
Onions - 1 large ( cubed ) - I used Yellow Onions
Whole spices (Peppercorns, Cloves, Cardamom, small Cinnamon stick ) - 2-3 of each
Red chilli powder - 1-2 tsp
Corriander powder - 1 tblsp
Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Pepper powder - 1 tsp ( optional)
Oil - 2-3 tblsp ( I used Canola)
Salt - to taste
1. Wash the rice in cold water and drain and keep it aside. ( If you have the time, its best to soak the rice in water for 30minutes and then drain before preparing the pulav, I did not do it though)
2. Heat a large cooking pot and add the oil.
3. Saute the whole spices in the oil until the flavors are released.
4. Add the onions and saute for 2 minutes.
5. Add in all the mixed veggies and after sauting for 2 minutes, add the spices ( red chilli powder, corriander powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder and pepper powder) and saute for another 2-3 minutes.
6. Now add in the rice to the mixed veggies and stir gently until rice and veggies are mixed well .
7. Add 4 cups of water and season the water with salt , stir once more and cover and cook until the rice is cooked fully. ( The water should be salty to taste so that the rice is seasoned well once cooked)
This dish can be prepared so fast and can be served without requiring to prepare too many side dishes, as it is rice + mixed veg curry in one !! :-) Some plain Yoghurt or Cucumber Raita along with some Papad goes really well when serving this dish.
Have a sweet day!!