Jan 9, 2012

Curried Veg Pulav (Veg Pilaf)

I named this dish as 'Curried' Veg Pulav as I have used the spices with which I prepare any basic masala curry used in Indian cooking :-) Pulav or Pilaf is a really easy rice based dish where veggies ( in the case of my dish) are cooked along with the rice seasoned with some spices. It is a really simple and easy preparation. Pulav can also be prepared with chicken , shrimp, egg etc
This dish was initially supposed to be a mixed vegetable curry :-) , but at the last moment I decided to go with making a quick pulav with the same mixed vegetables to which I had already added all my spices to prepare the curry. So there you go, Curried Veggie Pulav !!! :-)
I just used  some frozen mixed vegetables (containing carrots, green peas, beans and corn)  that I always have in my freezer , one potato and half of a green bell pepper (capsicum) for the mixed veggies. You can use whichever veggies you prefer.

Curried Veg Pulav Recipe
Recipe source : My Own
You'll need
Basmati rice - 2 cups
Water - 4 cups
Mixed Vegetables ( Carrots, Peas, Beans, Corn, Potato, Bell pepper etc) - 2 cups (cubed into small pieces)
Onions - 1 large ( cubed ) - I used Yellow Onions
Whole spices (Peppercorns, Cloves, Cardamom, small Cinnamon stick ) - 2-3 of each
Red chilli powder - 1-2 tsp
Corriander powder - 1 tblsp
Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Pepper powder - 1 tsp ( optional)
Oil - 2-3 tblsp ( I used Canola)
Salt - to taste

Directions
1. Wash the rice in cold water and drain and keep it aside. ( If you have the time, its best to soak the rice in water for 30minutes and then drain before preparing the pulav, I did not do it though)
2. Heat a large cooking pot and add the oil.
3. Saute the whole spices in the oil until the flavors are released.
4. Add the onions and saute for 2 minutes.
5. Add in all the mixed veggies and after sauting for 2 minutes, add the spices ( red chilli powder, corriander powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder and pepper powder) and saute for another 2-3 minutes.
6. Now add in the rice to the mixed veggies and stir gently until rice and veggies are mixed well .
7. Add 4 cups of water and season the water with salt , stir once more and cover and cook until the rice is cooked fully. ( The water should be salty to taste so that the rice is seasoned well once cooked)    
                             
7. Serve it hot with some cool cucumber Raita !

This dish can be prepared so fast and can be served without requiring to prepare too many side dishes, as it is rice + mixed veg curry in one !! :-) Some plain Yoghurt or Cucumber Raita along with some Papad goes really well when serving this dish.
The house gets filled with the lovely aroma of basmati rice being cooked and the lovely spices added to this dish. The Pulav was really good, the rice was soft and perfectly cooked , the veggies and the spices mingled really well with the rice and it did make a really quick , tasty and colorful lunch for us :-)

Have a sweet day!!

-Manju








26 comments:

  1. Simply perfect and delicious looking pulao.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks absolutly delicious.very colourful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Veg pilaf looks perfect..
    New to ur space, glad to follow you. Check out my space when you get a chance
    http://cook-ezee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love rice made like this and your dishe looks so so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely delicious and perfectly done....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Color combination looks perfect Manju!! sounds and looks yummy as well... and sure seems very simple... great job on pictures!!

    ~Sharada

    ReplyDelete
  7. very colourful and delicious veg pulao

    ReplyDelete
  8. very new to me.. and really very innovative

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super flavourful,colourful and delicious one pot meal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have lovely space. Veg pulav looks awesome and perfect.One pot healthy meal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Real tasty one.Yummy twist.Delish luking 2!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks delish!!! love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks very yum and healthy one pot meal...awesome clicks

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow...yu,,y veg pulao...:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks a lot to all my lovely visitors for leaving such lovely comments on this dish. DO come back for more :-)

    Regards,
    Manju

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pilaf looks lovely. AM hosting my 1st blog event - Valentines Special and a a giveaway..! Check it out and do join in..!

    ReplyDelete
  17. perfect and delicious looking pulav....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Manju, I tried this and it came out amazing, this is a weekly dish at our home now as I dont have time to cook (I have a new born) and this sure is a one pot meal and my older one who would rather read, play, dance etc than eat calls it Biriyani and scrafs it down like there is no tomorrow. Thank you for making my life easy:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for your comment, I'm on cloud #9 :-) I'm so happy to hear your son loved it!
      Hopefully I'll be able to add more recipes that's quick and easy for you, bcoz I know how difficult things can be with babies around :-)

      Delete
  19. manju...
    this rice was a hit not only at our place....but our relatives did call me for the reciepe after having this when they came home.... hubby dearest loves this ..so is my lil ria even thou it was spicy(we use the hot chilly powder) she says eriya eriya and still eats them...thanks to u..!!!...

    ReplyDelete
  20. To all the other users!!!..

    Ive tried many blogs, famous food sites for different different recipes but manjus eating delight is the best with all the measurements and the food turns out real yummy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Francy, I'm simply touched...Thank you from the bottom of my heart! <3

      Delete

Thank You so much for visiting here. I would love to hear from you , please leave a comment or suggestion and Hope to see you again !