Feb 25, 2015

Let it Go....a Frozen themed Queen Elsa Doll Cake


I’m super excited about the cake I’m sharing with you all today. I have always wanted to do a doll cake. When my friend’s friend asked me if I can help her with the cake for her daughter’s birthday, the only details she told me was it was going to be a Frozen Princess themed party. I heard ‘princess’ and ‘frozen theme’ and instantly suggested that it would be great to do a queen Elsa doll cake and even her daughter loved the idea.  

The day I bought the Queen Elsa doll,  I was super excited and trust me was tempted to play with it ;-) No wonder kids love barbie dolls and all such pretty dolls. They are just gorgeous!

When I think of the movie Frozen the scene that comes to my mind is when Queen Elsa sings ‘Let it Go’ and builds her beautiful snow castle. I wanted my Queen Elsa to be standing in that pose. 


It was love at first sight when I saw Ipoh Bakery's fashionista doll cakes. I was awed at the beauty of William’s creations and knew that if I ever got a chance at making  a doll cake then this would be it.  William himself was so kind and helped me with few questions I had before I started making the cake.

What makes this cake stand out from the usual doll cakes is that instead of the doll standing wearing her pretty princess gown which is like an inverted dome (this forms the cake), here the doll appears as if its walking forward pulling her beautiful skirt or cape forward. One of her legs are exposed giving it a stylish yet elegant touch and there’s movement and grace and looks so fashionable. The skirt/cape forming the cake.

The only challenge for me was carving the cake to form a smooth skirt that’s following Queen Elsa as she conjures up her Snow castle.  I’m not a fan of carving and wasting precious cake slices. So I made sure each and every carved cake piece was added to the skirt in the best way possible attached with buttercream, giving an overall smooth finish.


The doll is an actual Queen Elsa Doll, which is the only non-edible portion of the cake. The top of the skirt from where the edible portion of the cake starts was 5.5" tall and it extends to be almost 15" long.  


I baked my favorite White Velvet Cake and frosted and filled the cake with creamy Nutella Buttercream…yumm! Covered in homemade marshmallow fondant that I shaded Teal.  

After making the pleats of the skirt I added some final touches in the form of snowflakes and added some shine to the dress and snowflakes using luster dust. 

I left the cake board silver itself as I felt the color combo of Teal-White-Silver looked good for a Frozen theme. Eileen's name and age were placed on snowflakes shimmered with luster dust. I also placed snowflakes in Queen Elsa's palms to imitate the scene in the movie where she conjures snowflakes with her bare hands.


Little Eileen had a wonderful Frozen Princess themed party and my friend said that everyone was just mesmerized with the cake!  ;-) 

So what do you all think?....please do share you feedback. The pics were all taken at night as the party was during the day....waiting to see some pics from the party as well :-)

-Manju

37 comments:

  1. Loved and loved this...Perfect for the kid in me !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never seen before such a cake! So professional. Keep up the great work Manju. Michelin Star! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply superb , can't believe that its cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This just looks amazing... really admire your patience and hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An outstanding cake......looks like professional baker made .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just can't take my eyes off from the cake ...its so pretty and a thumbs up to you dear for those detailed work

    ReplyDelete
  7. Manju this is so beautiful... My girl wants a Elsa cake for this birthday too and I am so inspired by your recreation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't show this to my daughter yet, she's going to ask me for her birthday if I show her :). Looks so perfect and professional. Seriously you should start cake modeling classes or some business related to cakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks perfect whwenever my daughter sees pretty cakes she asks me when will i make one for her.hope i can soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have surpassed yourself, absolutely brilliant and so very different that the usual doll cakes

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very beautifully made ......made to perfection I must say..........Hats off to u dear.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. so so pretty Manju! It's an stunning cake and you are super talented! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What can I say Manju? You are just an awesome baker.

    ReplyDelete
  14. And thanks for stopping by my space and for your kind words.. I ll be glad to know if your guests enjoyed the Banofie pie. Thanks again and Happy cooking. Nice knowing you. I ve bookmarked your page.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I have no words to express - It's just fantastic! I admire your patience. I wouldn't think of eating it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Simply stunning. I can't come no way close to even a little to what you have done. I was going over and over the pictures. So captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I fall in love with such a fantastic creation! Congratulations,,

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's any girl's dream b'day cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG! This cake took my breath away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely stunning piece of work. The detailing is amazing. Keep up the great work.
    Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Marvellous cake!! My younger sister will go nuts for this :) Hats off to you for creating such an art...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing cake.........................never seen such a lovely cake.Congrats for making an eye catching
    cake.
    www.tastentips.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a beautiful cake... Can u plz post how did u made the skirt part... and from where in Bangalore can I buy queen elsa... Need to make the same cake for my daughter's 6th b'day... :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice to know abt ur space ...Quite a stunning cake & I've no words to say. Your cake has brought out a kid in me as I love this song very much. kudos to ur gr8 work.

    ReplyDelete
  25. this is absoluutellly gorgeoussss Manjuuuu !!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Manju,

    Awesome!!!! Looks just perfect!! Kudos to u :) Avni jus saw this and kept saying "wow"!!! I asked her if she would want to cut this cake for her next bday, she was like no mamma you should not cut it, her dress will be "broken" lol. Good Job dear!

    Love,
    Salna.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cake is perfect..........Manju, do you have step by step photos of making this cake......similar to the dinosaur cake post ................If you have step by step photos, plz post it soon so that I can make it for my niece's b'day party

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can purchase the tutorial from the creator of this design himself. I have shared the link above. Thanks.

      Delete
  28. Do you have step by step photos of assembling this cake......Plz tell YES or NO .......so that I can search it somewhere else........REPLY SOON....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can send me your email id I can give you the link from where you can get the tutorial. I cannot reproduce the tutorial here as it would be a copyright issue. If I develop a different technique than this then I will surely share a tutorial which I almost always do. So I hope you understand.

      Delete
    2. Hi manju, your cake looks beautiful.. Can you pls share the Tutorial with me. I want to make it for my daughters second birthday. My email id is lizzie.jamie@gmail.com
      Thank you so much

      Delete
  29. Thanks a lot to all my dear friends and blog readers for the lovely feedback on this cake. Your support is what helps me get motivated to keep doing more. Thanks a ton again! Muah!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. BEAUTIFULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

    ReplyDelete
  31. great cake...can i please have tutorial for this cake step by step....i m inspired to bake for my daughter too. my email id is shalininig@gmail.com

    thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thank You so much for visiting here. I would love to hear from you , please leave a comment or suggestion and Hope to see you again !