This cake is going to be the best Valentines day cake you could ever make for your loved one...If you are a real chocolate lover, this cake is the one for you.
Its so Chocolaty, so dense and rich , its just perfect! The cake just sticks to the roof of your mouth , which makes it so yummy :-) The secret ingredient in this cake is Coffee!!! :-) But you will not get the taste of coffee , it just adds the chocolaty richness.
My hus got me this really beautiful book called Illustrated Step-by-Step Baking by Caroline Bretherton, for our Wedding Anniversary (which was in Dec). This book is great for beginners in Baking , and several recipes have step by step pictures, which is very helpful.
This cake is my first try from this gorgeous book and I must say it came out simply great. I'm not yet at the point of writing a review on this book, but I hope I'll soon try out more and let you know more details.
I coated the cake with some milk chocolate ganache and some white pearls.
Recipe source: Illustrated Step-By-step baking by Caroline Bretherton (page 58)
You'll need :
All purpose flour - 1.5 cups
Baking powder - 1.5 tsp
Unsalted Butter - 7 tblsp + extra for greasing the cake pan
Coco powder - 1/2 cup + extra for dusting the cake pan
Sugar - 1.5 cups
Eggs - 2 ( at room temperature)
Cold strong Coffee - 1/2 cup (I added 1 tblsp instant coffee (Bru) to 1/2 cup cold water)
Milk - 1/2 cup
Pure vanilla extract - 1 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Semi-sweet chocolate chips - 1/2 cup
Unsalted Butter - 1 tblsp
Sweetened Whipped cream - 2-3 tblsp
Milk (optional) - few teaspoons to loosen the ganache
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease your cake pan ( I used a Bundt cake pan) with some butter and dust the pan with some cocoa powder.
2. In a bowl whisk together the all purpose flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt.
3. In another bowl mix together the cold coffee, milk and vanilla extract.
4. Using a hand or electric mixer cream together the cream and sugar until light and fluffy and beat in the eggs one at a time . Slowly add in the dry and wet ingredients ( #2 and #3) and mix the cake batter well.
5. Bake for 30-35 mins or until a totthpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
6. Leave the cake in the pan for about 20 mins to cool.
1. Melt together the butter and chocolate chips (in a microwave or in a bowl over simmering water, without touching the water).
2. Fold in the cream and make a smooth ganache.
3. Add some milk if you feel the ganache is too thick, but it should be slightly thick and runny.
4. Pour over the cake after the cake has cooled and let the ganache set for sometime before serving a slice.
Decorate with some sugar Pearls if you'd like.
See how dense the cake looks and it so smooth and crumbly...Chocolaty Heaven! :-)
Enjoy people and have a beautiful Valentines day!!!
Linking this post to:
1. Valentines Day event hosted by Anzz @ AnzzCafe