Nov 25, 2012

Pumpkin Trifle.....with Gingerbread Cake, Pudding and Whipped cream !

Hello everyone. Hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend surrounded by family and friends , ate lots of yummy food and did a hell lot of shopping :-) It snowed here in Minneapolis exactly on Thanksgiving day, it was so lovely. Can you imagine, I was actually photographing these mini trifles out in my patio and it started snowing just then and became 2X times colder :-) That's the reason why those trifle cups looks like a frosted cup ;-P  but I managed to get few snaps for you all!

We were invited to a lovely Thanksgiving dinner on 22nd for which I made these simple and delicious individual trifle dessert. I wanted to make something with Pumpkin ever since Fall started, but never got a chance. So when I was asked to make dessert for the Thanksgiving dinner, I felt it was an opportunity I shouldn't miss. Again, wanting to make it a quick and easy dessert, I made it semi-homemade , by using canned pumpkin puree, a boxed Ginger cake mix and Jello Cheesecake flavored instant Pudding. I love making mini desserts, everyone can enjoy their own individual pretty looking dessert and also enjoy the entire dessert without feeling too guilty, afterall its a mini dessert :-)

The trifle was put together in less than 30 minutes (excluding the cake baking and cooling time). I had all the ingredients on hand, even the Gingerbread cake mix, which I had bought from Trader's Joe few months back :-)
The Trifle had a nice warm flavor imparted by the Gingerbread cake and the lovely pumpkin spice ending with a cool sweetness from the whipped cream. Everyone loved the dessert!

Pumpkin Trifle Recipe
Recipe Source: Adapted from Taste of Home

You'll need
For Cake Crumbs
Gingerbread Cake mix - 1 box (I used 14oz box)
Egg - 1
Water - 3/4 cup
Oil - 1 cup
For Pumpkin Pudding
Instant Pudding -  3 boxes (I used Jello brand , Cheesecake flavor)
Cold Milk - 2 cups for each pudding box (so total of 6 cups)
Canned Pumpkin Puree -1 can (15oz)
Pumpkin spice mix - 1 tsp Cinnamon powder + 1/4 tsp each Dry Ginger powder + Nutmeg + Allspice
For Whipped Cream topping
Heavy Whipping cream - 2 cups
Powdered Sugar - 1/4 cup
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp

Directions
For Cake
Bake the Gingerbread Cake mix as per box instructions- mix together the egg, water, oil and Gingerbread cake mix and bake for 30-35mins at 350F. Allow it to cool and crumble the cake.
For Pumpkin Pudding
a. Prepare the pudding as per package instructions - Add 2 cups of cold milk to 1 pack Jello instant pudding and allow it to set for 5 mins. Repeat the same for the other pudding boxes.
b. Once pudding is set, mix the canned pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice mix into the pudding and combine it until smooth.
For Whipped Cream
Prepare the whipped cream by beating together cold heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract on high until the cream is smooth forming soft peaks.

Assembling the mini Pumpkin Trifle
I have used mini 5oz cups.
Layer with 1 tblsp crumbled Gingerbread Cake. Next add 2 tblsp Pumpkin pudding, then add 2 tblsp Gingerbread Cake crumbs and top with 2 tblsp whipped cream. Garnish with Chocolate sprinkles or some gingerbread cake crumbs.
Suggestions and Tips:
1. You can use Vanilla / Butterscotch flavored instant pudding if you'd like. I wasn't very fond of the cheesecake flavor, but Manish loved it. So I guess its just personal preference.
2. Add more or less pumpkin spice as per taste preference. I added a pinch more than the above recipe for a stronger flavor.
3. If you don't have gingerbread cake mix, feel free to use Chocolate cake, I bet it would taste exceptional. And anything with a sweet whipped cream topping always tastes heavenly!
4. You can use frozen whipped cream if you have that or if it makes your life easier :-)

I did ask my lovely facebook friends for some simple and easy Thanksgiving dessert ideas and I'm so thankful to them for giving me plenty of ideas. I'll be putting them to use each time I have a potluck invite :-) Thank you so much you all.


Next on MED, I'll be sharing details on a gorgeous two tiered cake I made for an Engagement Ceremony...you don't want to miss it. Check out my facebook page for a snap of the cake or better yet, hit 'Like' and never miss another update :-).So stay tuned!!

-Manju






22 comments:

  1. Hope you enjoyed Thanksgiving get together...This looks very good dessert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes Deepa, the get together was awesome...we had a great time. The host's name was also Deepa ;-)

      Delete
  2. Such an elegant trifle, beautifully done and very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dessert looks so yummy !! Loved ur pics too...
    Thanks for all the supportive comments Manju...it's such a time consuming work but after u finish the work it gives a satisfaction a happiness alle ?? Has one more cake next week and then it's done for the time being :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i totally understand wat u have said there...the end result is wat really pays for all the hard work! Eager to see your next cake too.

      Delete
  4. Wow it an easy peacy dessert!!! I liked the flavor combo you used. A quick and easy dessert substitute for the traditional pumpkin and apple pies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Shibi, thats exactly why I chose a Trifle , as my friends also said that she's bored of eating the usual pies every year :-) The flavor combo was really good...infact they tasted more better a day after they were made.

      Delete
  5. mmm :-p mouth-watering!....wish I was there in MN! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy looking trifle.looks tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trifles are wonderful. They always have such visual appeal and they are pretty easy to put together. These gingerbread/pumpkin trifles were perfect for Thanksgiving. :) Hope you had a wonderful holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi manju..thank you so much for leaving those lovely comments. Do try making rice in the microwave, you will not try the stove top method after that :)
    I am totally hooked...
    Hmm about why its called pudding, i guess in the traditional english form it means anything dense and dairy based as opposed to the image we have in our head about pudding :) :) I had that very doubt myself

    its so sad that we dont get ready made pumpkin puree here, otherwise i would have gone ballistic trying out all those yummy pumpkin recipes. I love trifles,and its so easy to put together and you can fancy it up so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! those trfiles look so pretty... i find individual servings so cute. everyone must have lovedddd these... i know i would have ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. yummy
    www.cakepud.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank You so much for visiting here. I would love to hear from you , please leave a comment or suggestion and Hope to see you again !