Jan 12, 2013

Buttermilk Pancakes

Who loves Pancakes, raise your hands? ;-) Well my family surely loves it and its an occasional treat we treat ourselves to when we get bored of the usual Idly n Dosa n Upama etc for breakfast. And I've never made pancakes from a box mix ever and I'm pretty proud of that. ;-)

Pancakes are really easy to make from scratch! I usually always make whole wheat pancakes, but as I was out of whole wheat flour I made these with all-purpose flour. I had some buttermilk in the fridge, and I thought I'd put it up to good use ;-)
Buttermilk pancakes are so flavorful, soft and spongy and totally melt in your mouth delish!
My favorite part of eating pancakes are the different toppings...It could be fruits, jam, honey, maple syrup, chocolate syrup...yumm!! Savory options are available too, but I haven't tried any yet, so more on that later.
We enjoyed these beauties with some banana slices, strawberries and Orange marmalade....of course I drizzled some honey too on top of mine...
My little guy happily had a whole pancake topped with honey!
This recipe yields about 8-10 pancakes of 4"diameter (approx).

Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe
Recipe source : AllRecipes.com
You'll need
All purpose flour - 1 ½ cups
Baking powder - 3 ½ tsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Sugar - 1 tblsp
Buttermilk - 1 ¼ cups 
Butter - 3 tblsp (melted)
Egg - 1
Milk - 2 tblsp (optional)


Directions
1. In a bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, baking powder , sugar and salt.
2. Make a well in the centre and add the buttermilk, melted butter and egg and mix well until the batter almost resembles cake batter. (If the batter is very thick, add 1 tblsp of milk at a time and loosen the batter)
3. Heat a non-stick pan/girdle on medium heat and lightly oil it.
4. Pour approx a ¼ cup of batter on to the pan and lightly tap it to spread it to around 4" diameter.
5. Brown slightly on both sides and serve hot with delicious toppings!!

I've tried this recipe several times and it has never failed me. Original recipe calls for Milk, I've substituted that with Buttermilk, still tastes great! So what are you gonna drizzle over your batch of pancakes? ;-)
Ahem...it was pretty difficult to get that above shot, balancing a huge honey jar on my left hand and heavy DSLR on my right, but I guess it came out ok...what do you think?  ;-)

-Manju

20 comments:

  1. Nice recipe Manju and the last click is just perfect.


    http://sabdhaskitchen.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish to start my day with this super spongy and filling pancakes..he looks soo cute,hugs to ur lil dumpling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy looking pancakes. Loved the stacking up of them.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh i feel like having some pancakes now...ur pics are so inviting .Even before i read about ur comment on the last pic i was thinking the same,u must have taken some effort clicking that and it came out beutifully ! I have a long way to go before I attempt something like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to sign in to my bloggers id when i left comment..so the last comment was from me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought the last click was shot with hubby's help,Great work with both hands..loved the last click,pancakes looks delicious soft & fluffy dear:)
    Join EP event-Nutmeg OR Parsley @ Chef Mireille's Global Creations

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm! these look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice pics and beautiful pancakes Manju :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are some spectacular pancakes! I love how golden and fluffy they are. The pictures are beautiful too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, love those cute pancakes. Just yum and perfect breakfast especially for the little ones. Your cutie's pic is awesome and the last pic just splendid

    ReplyDelete
  11. amazing pancakes - amazing pics as well !! my kids love it sometimes and sometimes they dont - but for me it makes it to my list of comfort food :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Umas crepes incriveis,uma maravilha :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. that looks so lovely manju...such a soothing treat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is awesome, I was staring on each pics and they are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I love those pancakes. The pictures are so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Manjoose...

    wonderful recipe da... pancake is always Hariyettan's favorite pick...Today this was his breakfast :) Thank you for this super fluffy n delicious recipe. His instant feedback was IHOP!!!

    I dint have buttermilk so, I made a instant buttermilk substitute ( http://frugalliving.about.com/od/condimentsandspices/r/Buttermilk_Sub.htm)

    I always wanted to start blogging about cooking. But waiting for the right time. And your blog is simply awesome. Yesterday only I noticed your blog, after seeing ur croissant. Post its recipe too :)

    Again thank you for ur lovely recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Buttermilk just makes everything better. Love these pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wau!!! wanna eat now...so mouthwatering with wonderful clicks...Love the last photograph very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never bought buttermilk but may have to get some to try these pancakes. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You so much for visiting here. I would love to hear from you , please leave a comment or suggestion and Hope to see you again !