Aug 21, 2013

Indian style fresh Cucumber chaat


Summer is quickly, far too quickly coming to an end I feel.  Our summer has been filled with settling down and enjoying our new home, road trips,  biking  and walking around our neighborhood,  visiting friends, gardening (for my dad basically) and eating a lot of my mom's yummy meals and I don't want it to end and looking forward to more fun. But then comes something I’m least looking forward to #1) My parents returning back to India and #2) Sending lil’Appu back to daycare. I don’t even want to discuss these 2 topics at the moment… *sigh* :-(

Today, I’m not really sharing any recipe as such but a very simple and totally nostalgic Indian snack with fresh Cucumbers. Most of you know by now about my dad’s beautiful veggie garden that’s treating us with its bounty full of ripened veggies and we are literally feasting on them lately. This weekend we decided to pick up several of the ripened cucumbers. It was a hot sunny day and almost time for evening Tea and the minute we saw the juicy, ripe and beautiful cucumbers we wanted to have it instantly and forgot all about Tea :-)


Lil'Appu enjoys helping with plucking the veggies and carrying them back to the kitchen. Well, sometimes he thinks we gave him a new toy :-) And he really loves eating cucumber. We plucked 4 large cucumbers btw....


So I started washing, peeling and slicing them up into quarters and my mom grabbed some and stared munching immediately. That’s when I remembered a certain street food that I have really enjoyed while I lived in India, Bangalore to be precise. 



It’s such a common scene there to see chaatwaalas pushing their carts around laden with veggies like cucumbers, raw mangoes, fresh limes etc and fruits like pineapple , papaya, watermelon, oranges etc and ofcourse other types of chaat and they serve these veggies/fruits by simply sprinkling on some salt and red chilly powder  or some chaat masala and may I say, its broadens the taste of these fruits and veggies to a different level? Yes, it does!! (The red chilly powder is mostly for the veggies)

So after a memory flash-wave, I decided to do the same for these homegrown, juicy and ripe cucumbers. All you need are fresh cucumbers, salt and red chilli powder. First rub your finger on the open face of the sliced cucumber to moisten your fingertip and press into the salt and red chilli powder and lightly rub them onto the cucumber slice and the take a big bite and feel your tastebuds flow…seriously, you must try it. You can moderate the amount of red chili powder as per your taste.


I tried the same with Salt and Black Pepper powder and I must say it did not taste all that great as how it does with red chilli powder. If you aren’t very keen on using red chilli powder, try with Paprika. It might tone down the spice but seal in all the flavors for this simple, lipsmacking and must I say ‘Healthy’ snack.  Or else another option would be to use Chaat masala.

I din't know what exactly this was called so I'm just calling it an Indian style cucumber chaat!

Indian Style fresh Cucumber chaat

You’ll need
Fresh Cucumbers – 3 or 4 or more
Salt – to taste
Red Chilli powder/Paprika – 1 tsp (use as needed)
Chaat masala (optional)

Directions
1.  Wash, peel and cut up the cucumbers into halves first and then each half into quarters.
2.  Moisten your fingertip slightly (just rub your fingertip over the cucumber slices) and mildly press into some salt and red chilli powder (or one at a time) and rub them over the cucumber slices. Enjoy!
3.  Substitute red chilli powder with Chaat masala powder if the spice level doesn’t suit you.


I even had this for my morning breakfast today, ya I’m just that crazy about it. We have several more Cucumbers left and I already know what’s in future for them. So, do you want to try some and get your tastebuds flowing? :-)


 Have a lovely Summer everyone! 


-Manju

23 comments:

  1. Eating cucumber with chilly powder was one of my fav things I enjoyed during my college days in bangalore. Thanks for sharing these.... It takes back to old memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. u evoked the nostalgic childhood memories, one of my favourites during school days.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand ur feelings... I am kind of on the same boat now... a big bag of mixed feelings... very nostalgic post, got 2 eat some like this 2day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. not tasted for a long time.simple yet comfort snack.nice clicks.homegrown must have been more fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is something I used to love while working in bgle. Did you forget to mention the steamed whole corn that the chatwaalas serve there the same way? good old days :-)
    Same here Manju, my in-laws r here this summer, I dont want to think of sending my little girl to daycare when they leave :( wish our parents could stay here for long!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this refreshing and yummy cucumber with chilli powder, beautiful pics there Manju...thanks for sharing with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. very fresh cucumber .. loving them:) chaat looks yummm :) Lovely clicks dear

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lil Appu is so so adorable!! Love refreshing cucumber! Yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. love dis.....mouthwatering like pacha manga n mulaku combination!!Beautiful clicks.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh, mouthwatering.. U made me nostalgic too.. Simple but tastes just WOW !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great choice of filling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow awesome clicks! Love them too much :) And what a cute baby! Your pics remind me of my childhood back home...those lazy afternoons....great garden too !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your son is so adorable! The cucumbers look so refreshing and tasty with the chaat masala.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wonderful way of serving cucumbers! So summery and refreshing.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice healthy snack...appu is so cute.....my latest obsession with cucumbers is its juice...2carrots,2 celery stalks,a cucumber makes a delicious juice....

    ReplyDelete
  16. refreshing snack with fresh cucumber! Nice clicks and your kid is so adorable....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great dish! I sometimes make something similar, although I'll often use some ground, roasted coriander seed in addition to the salt and red chile powder. Really good stuff - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks SUPER fresh and I love the big smile on Appu's face! That's an additional treat you get from having a veggie garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Light & refreshing snack with homegrown cucumbers, this brings back sweet memories of childhood. Lovely pictures! Thank you Manju for visiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sometimes the simple and basic foods are the ones that are most delicious and comforting. The fresh cucumber chaat must be have been such a treat especially for the kids sans chili I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fully agree..Just the idea of dropping kids at daycare is worrying. But I guess they are fine. Its we mums who have a harder time :)
    Cucumber with chaat masala is delicious and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lil Appu looks so happy, handsome boy! I am impressed with your gardening and what fruitful bounty it has been!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Appu is such a cutie! My mom used to make this snack for me with cucumbers from her garden. There's no better way to eat a fresh cucumber!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You so much for visiting here. I would love to hear from you , please leave a comment or suggestion and Hope to see you again !