I love Samosa , its my favorite, infact everyone in my family loves it! Its a very common Indian snack item and can be found in almost all bakery shops across India. Even at the restaurants here we get Samosa. :-)
The most common stuffing used is spiced Potatoes , sometimes green peas is also added.
Samosa is a stuffed and deep fried , mostly triangular shaped pastry shell made with all-purpose flour. The stuffing can be as per individual preference. Veggies (could be Potato/Green peas/Carrots/Paneer/Tofu) , Chicken , Meat, Egg , even fruits can be used for the filling .
I have also heard of Chocolate filled Samosas...mmmm....that would just taste so heavenly!! I should definitely try making that sometime!
Also recently I have seen several recipes where the Samosa is baked. I'm sure it would taste just as good and that is noted down in my 'must-try-next' recipe list
My sis-in-law had come over to visit us recently and she wanted something homemade to take back to her friends and instantly Samosa popped up in my head :-) Its not very difficult to make and the filling is your choice. I prepared an easy Potato, grated carrots and peas filled stuffing and used some typical Indian spices for a spicy taste. I have also flavored the pastry shell with some cumin and carom seeds and a pinch of red chilli powder.
This recipe prepares about 18-20 small samosas.
Veggie Samosa Recipe
Recipe source: My own
For the pastry shell:
All-purpose flour - 2 cups
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Ajwain seeds (Carom seeds) - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder - a pinch or 1/4 tsp ( optional)
Baking soda - 1/4 tsp (optional)
Oil - 1 tblsp ( Canola or vegetable oil preferred)
Salt - to taste
Warm Water - 1cup ( or enough to make a smooth dough)
For the filling:
Russet Potatoes - 2 large
Onion - 1 large (Chopped finely)
Green chillies - 2-3 (sliced thinly)
Carrot - 1 large (grated)
Green peas - 1/4cup
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tblsp
Garam masala powder, Turmeric powder, Red chilli powder , Corriander powder - 1/2 tsp each
Oil - 2tsp (for tempering)
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Ajwain (Carom seeds) - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - for frying
1. In a deep bowl mix the all-purpose flour, cumin seeds, ajwain seeds, oil , red chilli powder (optional), baking soda (optional) and salt with warm water and make a smooth dough and brush some oil over the dough and keep aside covered by a damp cloth for half an hour.
2. Boil the potatoes and peel off the skin.
3. In a pan heat 2 tsps of oil and crack the cumin seeds and ajwain seeds and add Onions, Green chillies and ginger garlic paste and saute until onions turn pink
4. Add the Carrots and Green peas and saute for another 2mins.
5. Now add the Garam masala powder, Turmeric powder, Red chilli powder and Corriander powder and Salt and saute for another 2mins and turn off the heat.
6. Mash the potatoes and add it to the veggie mix and combine it all together well. Check if the filling is seasoned well.
7. Take the dough and make small 'tennis ball sized' balls. (You may make larger balls depending on the size of the samosa)
8. Roll each ball into a circular shape with a rolling pin and cut it into half (almost a semi circle)
9. Make a cone shape by joining both the ends of the semi circle and pinch it together with the help of some oil or water.
10. Add 1tsp of the potato-veggie into the cone and fold in the end and again pinch it so that it is tightly closed.
Suggestions: If you do not want to add all that spice, you can prepare the filling without adding any of the spice powders. The green chillies would provide a mild spice to the filling.
If you'd like , chaat masala powder can be added which will provide a tangy yet mildly spicy flavor.
They taste great when served hot with some mint chutney or tomato ketchup. Spicy snacks always go well with a nice hot cup of sweet tea or coffee too. These turned out crispy and spicy and was over within seconds of me having kept my camera down. :-)
I'd love to share with you all the Award I got for participating in the event Love Lock with Sweets. Thank you so much Vidhya.
Sending this post to:
1. Christmas Delicacy event hosted by Julie.
2. Jingle All the way event hosted by Kavi.
3. Snacks Mela hosted by Srivalli
Enjoy your day!