Dec 15, 2011

Spicy Tuna Fish Cutlets


Hello there...I know I haven't been blogging much these days and I haven't had much time to blog hop either. There has been so much going on the past few days that I honestly haven't had much time to spend on my lappy :-)
As I had mentioned in my earlier post here, we had lot many celebrations lined up and we had quite an eventful weekend with lots of celebrations , food and sweets!
It was our Wedding Anniversary on Dec13th and these cutlets were my special treat to Manish who loves Tuna. And we both love Cutlets...we atleast I know that I could eat them all day! And these came out just so perfect that we were literally sad when it got over. :-)

Cutlets are nothing but croquettes made of meat/chicken/fish/veggies. They are usually deep fried, but I prefer to shallow fry depending on the thickness. Its a lovely appetizer, crunchy and spicy and finger licking good. These Cutlets are my own recipe and it takes hardly 30mins to prepare them.

I made few heart shaped cutlets, special ones for my sweetheart. I also prepared small cute round ones. They were crunchy on the outside, smooth on the inside, with a nice spicy flavor that will keep your tastebuds running even after you finish eating them. TRUST me!!!
Let me take you through the recipe with some step-by-step pics which will definitely make it easy for you to understand how this delicious appetizer is prepared! :-)
This recipe made about 10 small round cutlets and 4 medium sized heart shaped ones.

Spicy Tuna Fish Cutlets Recipe
Recipe source : My own
You'll need
Canned Tuna - 2 tins , 5oz each ( I used Light tuna)
Potato - 2 medium ( I used Russet)
Red Onion - 1/2 large or 2 medium ( diced into thin and small cubes)
Green chillies - 1 or 2 (thinly sliced)
Ginger - 1 inch or 1 tblsp (diced well)
Garlic - 2 (diced well)
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1/4 tsp
Corriander powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam masala - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
To coat the cutlets:
Egg - 1
Breadcrumbs - enough to coat ( Approx 2 cups) - I used store bought ones
Canola oil - for frying

Directions:
1. Dice and chop the red onions, green chillies, ginger and garlic and keep aside.
2. Boil the potatoes with some salt and mash them well and keep aside to cool.
3. Open the tuna cans and drain any excess oil or water and keep aside.

4. Heat a non-stick frying pan on medium heat, add 1 tblsp canola oil and add the Ginger, Garlic and Green chillies and saute until the ginger-garlic turns mildly brown.

5. Add the Red Onions and and add some salt and cover and cook until the onions turns soft and mild and mildly carmelised, stirring occasionally.

6. Now add all the spices ( Red chilli powder, turmeric powder, corriander powder and garam masala) and mix well.

7. Then add the tuna chunks and mix well and such that each tuna piece is coated well with the spices and onions. Cover and cook for 2-3minutes and turn off the heat and let it cool.
                                  
8. When cooled , add the mashed potatoes and mix well. [ Its best to use your hands at this point :-) ]
9. If making heart shaped cutlets , take a large handful of the tuna-potato mixture and pat it down on a plate or board and then cut into it using the cookie cutter, or you could shape it by hand. ( I used cookie cutter)

10. You can also prepare small flat and round cutlets by taking small tennis ball sized tuna-potato mixture and gently pat it to form a disc shape of even thickness.
11. To coat the cutlets, beat an egg in a bowl and in a separate plate place the breadcrumbs.


12. Gently dip each cutlet into the egg and place it on the plate with the breadcrumbs and coat it on both sides with the breadcrumbs. Do this one by one.
13. You can deep fry or shallow fry the cutlets as per your wish. Fry until the cutlets looks brown and crunchy.
14. Serve hot with ketchup ...yummm!!


Suggestions:
a. You can substitute the Tuna for shredded Chicken/Beef.
b. Vegetarian variations could include mixed veggies like carrots, peas, baby spinach, paneer etc.
c. You could flavour your breadcrumbs instead (if you do not like all that spice ) with some garlic powder, red chilli flakes , dried oregano or some italian seasonings etc.
(The Potato helps to bind the mixture together and helps keep the cutlet intact while frying.)

Make these next time you have guests at home and they are going to be begging you for the recipe! :-)

Have a great day!!

Sending this post to:
1. Snacks Mela hosted by Srivalli

2. Christmas Delicacy event hosted by Julie.


-Manju






21 comments:

  1. wow look so good .. mouth watering recipe .. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tuna fish cutlets!! I really love how creative you got with the heart shape. I must try that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Entamme ingane kothipikkalle..adipoli its my all time fav ..Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cutlets look tempting and yummy. Glad that I could find a perfect recipe for this cool evening.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously my mouth is watering now...the heart shaped cutlet reminded me of the cutlet i used to die for from Indian coffee house ( restaurant) back home..

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great! I love how it uses ingredients that I always have on hand too. Great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously my mouth is watering now,tempting cutlets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting...never tried fish cutlets..this looks so appetizing and yummy...def my kids will love this..will try this for sure...thanks for sharing!!

    Spicy Treats
    Ongoing Event : Bake Fest # 2
    Do participate in My 300th Post Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome Cutlets.Luv to grab that tray rt now.Delish

    ReplyDelete
  10. u have so many snacks recipes here..cutlets r soooo tempting..keep the good work !!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. so delicious!!mouthwatering dish....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really yummy cutlets !!! We all loved them !!! And so easy to make !!! Thanks Manju !!!

    Aysha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you all loved them. Thank you for sharing your feedback :-)

      Delete
  13. Manju, I shall make these tonight for my office potluck party tomorrow. I live in Toronto and the non indian people in my office do not know what spice exactly is and tomorrow they will taste it first hand. lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful blog. I like reading it again n again

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made these a couple of days ago to a satisfactory reception but I tell you, warming up one that I squirreled away for myself today, these cutlets just seem to get better after a time! The flavors had blended and I don't think I've had any better in India!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just made these yesterday and they came out amazing! Thank you for the detailed steps and wonderful pictures. I tried making the heart shape, but they ended up looking more like blobs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks great and I like how u brown onions and ginger garlic. Will try these soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You so much for visiting here. I would love to hear from you , please leave a comment or suggestion and Hope to see you again !