May 30, 2013

Instant Rava Dosa

We eat a lot of Dosa at home. Manish absolutely loves Dosa and now lil'Appu is also becoming a fan. He never says no to Dosa and sometimes prefers Idlis. I prepare Dosa/Idli batter almost every week as it’s a quick breakfast to prepare during busy work day mornings and also its healthy and filling. Whenever I make the batter it is sufficient enough to last a whole week. I have been wanting to do a step-by-step post on Idli-Dosa batter preparation that’s made with Rice and Urad dal, so that's in the pipeline for now :-)

Apparently south-India is affluent in its various Dosa preparations. I love to try different varieties when dining out and even try preparing different kinds at home. The only limiting factor with regular dosa batter is waiting for the batter to ferment. And on busy weeknights all I want is a simple and quick solution.


That’s how I found this super simple and absolutely flavorful instant Rava Dosa recipe here and I modified it a bit to suit our tastes. Just mix together all the ingredients and let it rest for 10 mins and start making and eating your hot hot rava dosas :-) Another thing I want to clarify here is that, these are NOT the crisp Rava Dosa that we get in restaurants. Infact it’s a softer version and absolutely melt in your mouth kinds. And another benefit is that it does not require any extra oil while making the dosa. 

I made these when my sis-in-law and bro-in-law came to visit us and they simply loved it. Even my lil’Appu loves to eat it as its soft and flavorful from the veggies added in it. Any simple chutney like coconut chutney or tomato chutney goes well with this rava dosa.


This recipe has been sleeping in my drafts for over a 'year' now (sheesh!) and the pics are also old and sort of boring, but I felt the recipe had to be shared as its super yumm and one of our fav dosas. This recipe will yield about 8-10 medium sized rava dosa. 

Instant Rava Dosa

You'll need
Rava (Sooji / Semolina / Cream of wheat) - 2 cups
Red onion (chopped) - 1/4 cup
Green chillies (sliced) - 1or 2
Ginger (finely and thinly chopped) - 1 tsp
Corriander leaves (chopped) - 1  or 2 tblsp
Grated Carrot – 1 medium carrot (purely optional)
Yogurt (dahi) - 1 cup
Salt - to taste
Water (optional) - to loosen the batter
Ghee or Oil for cooking

Directions
1. Combine all the ingredients except for ghee/oil in a deep bowl, mix well and keep aside for 5-10 minutes. Add water as required to get desired batter consistency ( it should be thinner than pancake batter)
2. Apply little ghee or oil on dosa pan or non-stick pan, spread a spoonful of batter (almost ¼ cup batter) on it in a circular motion.
3. Cook till it is golden brown in color and mildly crisp on both sides.
4. Repeat with the remaining batter to make more dosas.
5. Serve hot with chutney of choice.

Notes
1. We like thick dosas, so I did not thin the batter too much with water. 
2. I like to add all kinds of veggies like grated carrots, boiled potatoes, tomatoes etc into the batter. But its all purely optional.
3. I don't add too much oil/ghee to crisp up the dosas. You may do so if you please.



 Try this out, its so simple and versatile. Enjoy with a cup of hot tea/coffee and kids will surely love it. It's definitely become my go-to recipe when looking for a quick and simple breakfast or dinner option and I bet you'll enjoy it too. 
See you all again soon.

-Manju

20 comments:

  1. simple n easy breakfast recipe ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Manju,
    Hope you are doing well, it has been a long time I have not visited to my blogging buddy's, need to see what they are up to.
    Thanks for letting us know the quicker version of Dosa, looks soft & dip has a bright colour. :)

    Love & Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful recipe. I love the color you got on the dosa. I can see why your hubby and son love them. :) Have a fantastic weekend. ~ Ramona :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The soft versions sounds yumm..seriously I don't like the crispy version..that's one reason I didn't post my rava dosa which I clicked several times...there is alays a mental block in posting things which i dont like :) but soft version with yogurt sounds yummy..will try it out one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too usually make them often , if you want crisp rawa dosas like restaurant add rice flour to rawa , your dosas look yummy... Todays post : http://nayanas-kitchen-kreations.blogspot.in/2013/05/eggless-pinacolada-doughnuts.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. tempting clicks,looks so irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the soft version... Bookmarking

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds pretty simple, never made the dosas with Rava though. I once tried the rava idli and it didn't come out good because the instructions on 'Vanitha' was vague. I have to try the rava idli and dosa again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love u r soft version of dosai,will come very handy when run out of batter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know how tricky it is to make paper thin rava dosa, the soft version looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good 1 Manju... perfect 4 lazyheads like me!!! ;) Bookmarked... BTW, the pics r not boring, rather really good.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this crispy rava dosa with chutney Manju.. It is one of my favorite breakfasts dear :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks yummy! Love making Rava doses or weekend brunch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi you have a Very Nice Blog. . .
    what about we follow each other? let me know :)
    www.ourjaipur.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have not had these in while Manju, they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Dosas look amazingly delicious. I plan to try them soon. I eat low-carbohydrate, but my husband still eats breads and rice. He will LOVE these!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Manju,

    I am your latest fan. same as you I too am learning to cook post my wedding and of course your BLOG is helping me a lot :)

    I tried this rava dosa yesterday and it turned out to be so fab hubby dear just kept eating it right out of tawa.

    I also cooked mathanga ethissery and though not a great combo, we had these two and it was over within minutes!!

    Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Princy for such a lovely feedback. I'm so happy you & ur hus enjoyed the rava dosa with matahnga erissery ;-)

      Delete

Thank You so much for visiting here. I would love to hear from you , please leave a comment or suggestion and Hope to see you again !