May 21, 2013

Fish curry with Raw Mango and Drumsticks in a spicy Coconut gravy

Hello dear all. I know I’ve been a slacker this whole month, having hardly posted any recipes at all. I would have loved to make excuses such as I was busy with office work or that lil’Appu kept me busy after I came home or else I got too lazy to post a recipe etc etc...but I’m not going to make any excuses. I’m enjoying my parents company, our new home, our new garden and backyard and all the new shops, parks, lakes etc around our neighborhood and we have all our weekends pre-planned with activities and friends, trying to enjoy summer to the fullest, so ya, I have very less laptop time left these days :-)
But I can't leave my lil'MED unattended for long, it’s a part of me now and I want to personally say a big big thank you to all my silent readers, who's been stopping over and checking out my space, as my blog stats have not dripped at all and infact is getting better each day. Many many Thanks to all of you.

Today I want to share a Fish curry recipe. I has had already shared a similar recipe a little while ago – Fish Curry in spicy Coconut gravy. This dish is almost exactly the same, but with a few more star ingredients : Raw Mango and Drumsticks which adds a lot more flavor and makes this a simply lip-smacking version. Its tangy, mildly spicy and has a hell lot of flavor and is an awesome dish to have with plain white/brown rice. 

I have used Tialpia fillets for the fish; other fish varieties that go well with this curry are Mackerel, Salmon, King Fish, Catfish, Codfish etc. Any fleshy fish with/without bones are good, oily fishes would be best.


In Kerala we usually eat a fatter, more huskier version of brown rice known as Kerala Matta rice. It’s a flavorful rice and I must say goes well with almost all keralite dishes. To many in Kerala this is ‘The Rice’, any other kind is either not flavorful or not ‘rice’ enough in their food dictionary :-) Manish loves this rice, though I prefer the plain white rice (aka Sona Masoori brand that we get here)



Perhaps later on I might do a post dedicated to Kerala Matta rice, but for now let’s focus on our Fish curry. The fish absorbs the flavors from the raw mango and kodampuli , the curry leaves infuses a lovey aroma to the dish and the drumsticks are a delight to eat in between. See how gorgeous it looks...now lets check out the recipe.


Fish curry with Raw Mango and Drumsticks in a spicy Coconut gravy

You'll need:
Tilapia fillets – 4-5 (cut into bite sized cubes)
Raw Mango – ½ Mango peeled and cut into thin strips
Drumsticks – 6-7 pieces (I used frozen drumsticks –if using fresh then cut 1 drumstick into 3” pieces)
Fresh grated coconut - 1 cup
Dry red chillies - 3-4 pieces
Corriander seeds - 2-3 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1.5 tsp
Water – 3 cups (1 cup for ground masala paste + 2 cups for gravy)
Ginger (cut into thin strips ) - 1/2  inch
Green chillies - 2-3 cut lengthwise
Roma Tomato – 1 medium (cut in quarters)
Meen puli/Kodampuli (Gambooge Tamarind) - 1-2 lime sized pieces
Fenugreek powder - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig (6-8 leaves)
Salt - to taste

Directions
1. Clean and cut the fish into small cubes.
2. Grind the coconut, dry red chillies, turmeric powder and corriander seeds into a fine paste with 1 cup of water.
3. Heat a non-stick deep bottomed pan on medium heat and pour the spice-coconut paste.
4. Add the ginger, green chillies, fenugreek powder and tamarind and let it come to a simmer.
5. Now add the fish, raw mango slices, drumsticks, tomato pieces, curry leaves, salt and add 2 cups of water or as per the gravy required and let the mixture boil until the fish is cooked.
6. Serve hot with Rice.



Go on, try out this dish today and you’ll thank me for it and I’ll pass on your thanks to my mom as it’s her recipe originally :-) And as we eat fish a lot, you shouldn't be surprised if I posted this recipe again with different star ingredients...hehe!

We have Memorial Day long weekend coming up this week and I’m looking forward to spending some fun time outside along with lil’Appu  and my family and guess what, I’m planning on getting me a new bike (cycle) and I’m all excited…yaaayy!! Hope I don’t fall, my balance on these two wheeler's suck big time! Have a great week you guys and keep in touch.

-Manju



33 comments:

  1. Wow yummy. fish curry with rice super

    ReplyDelete
  2. truly lipsmacking gravy,beautifully presented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never made fish with mango but now I'm intrigued :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its tastes really good and the cooked raw mango becomes soft and absolutely yumm!

      Delete
  4. this is amazing... all our malayali flavors rolled into one great fish curry... hey, as long as you are enjoying time with your parents around, take it easy... the blog can wait... u already have such high class stuff that will keep it going on till you are fully ready to go full throttle... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much rafeeda for such a lovely comment...you just made my day :-)

      Delete
  5. Colour of the gravy itself tempts me a lot Manju..never cooked drumsticks with fish,am drooling here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just look so tasty and I'm drooling right now hahaaha. Gotta try this one soon. Thank you for sharing the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  7. This curry is a staple in my house here.perfectly done MAnju...love this and the clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful fish curry. Never with raw mango like this.... must try it. I also love your food styling.. very well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Manju,

    Kaanan illalloooo blog/facebook il!!!!! I know you are enjoying a lot!!! Adichu polickey :)

    I do make similar kind of fish curry with drum sticks, except I add a bit of chili powder for color. If mango is available I use that too. I love the flavor combination of this curry.

    Good luck with biking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Manju, am going to try this without the fish as i LOVE mango but not fish :) love the texture

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the combo manju, I must say, ur presentation is neat and nice. Loved the curry, Thanks for ur lovely comment on my space
    Kitchen Secrets and Snippets(formerly jellybelly-shanavi)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this curry and I especially love the look of that rice. I'm going to see if I can find it here in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't eat fish..but dish looks so good..lovely clicks

    ReplyDelete
  14. this curry looks so delicious, my whole family loves drumstick and matta rice except me :-(..but fish curry, I can gobble up any time! I love the shot of the fish fillets:-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Matta rice and fish curry...wow...its one of my fav combo...drooling here Manju!!! You have tempted me so much that I am planning to make some fish curry over the weekend :))
    I have never tried drumstick in fish curry. It's new to me. Will try it out soon

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never tried mango in a savory dish, but it sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummyyy, One thing any Keralite would die for :) Awesome pics as well Manju !!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A delightful curry! The kind of dish I could eat on a weekly basis.

    Cheers,

    Roa

    ReplyDelete
  19. sho, vaayil vellam varunnu ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks nice. I would love to make a vegetarian version of this, may be with mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Raw mango with fish! That something new to me and I love how vibrant the curry looks. Just the right season to try the dish!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the fish curry and the rice. The raw mango is a wonderful addition and I can only imagine how fantastic this will taste. The pictures make me want to dig in..right away! And your story sounds all too familiar to me:-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Some very interesting flavours there! I am intrigued by the kind of flavours drumsticks must have lent to this curry.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never had raw mango in fish curry before but i'm sure it will add more delicious flavors! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice receipe. It came out well. Added ginger and omitted tomato. Mango+ Kudam Puli itself will be high on sour..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know you tried it and the curry came out well. Yes you canavaoid tomato if your green mango is sour enough...mine wasn't very sour and also I like the added color a red tomato brings to the dish :-)

      Delete
  26. This looks quite fabulous! And with all those flavours, I can imagine it would be beautifully fragrant and tasty too :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous little fish curry with raw mango! It’s a perfect color for an outing this weekend! Love it!! I have learn this item to cook while I was studying in the best hotel management college in Kolkata

    ReplyDelete

Thank You so much for visiting here. I would love to hear from you , please leave a comment or suggestion and Hope to see you again !