Oct 23, 2011

Cherry & Blueberry Pie - a dessert for any ocassion


I love having Pies for desserts , specially those made with a fruit filling. It makes me feel like I'm indulging in something sweet yet healthy. Also the taste of the baked pie crust with the soft juicy filling is just beyond words.
Also you can top it off with some whipped cream or ice cream to enjoy it even more!!

Well this was my first attempt at making a fruit pie at home and it was really good. More than me I think my husband loved it as he couldn't stop eating it. I shared this with our friends and they liked it too.

I had initially thought of making a Cherry pie, but I had a whole box of Blueberries too in my fridge, so added that too. It tasted sweet and mildly tart from the blueberries. The only thing I wouldn't add next time is the Almond extract, somehow I felt it changed the taste of the cherries a bit , that's what my friends also felt.

This recipe is taken from a couple of Pie recipe videos I saw on Youtube and tweaked to suit my taste. And to make life easier I used a store bought Pie crust but the lattice crust on top is all 'Me' made  :-)

Cherry & Blueberry Pie Recipe
You'll need
For Pie:
 9 inch Graham cracker Pie crust - 1
Fresh Cherries (pitted)- 3cups
Blueberries - 1cup
All purpose flour - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1 cup
Vanilla extract - 1tsp
Cinnamon powder - 1/2 tsp
Almond extract - 1/2 tsp (optional)
Butter - 3 tbsp
For Lattice pie crust:
All purpose flour - 1 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Cold Butter cubes- 2tbsp
Ice water
Egg white - to brush over the lattice crust top

Directions
For the Lattice crust :
Knead together the all purpose flour, cold butter , sugar with ice cold water.
Make a smooth pie dough and place it in the fridge or freezer until chilled well. (about an hour)
For the Pie :
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. In a bowl mix together the Cherries and Blueberries, all purpose flour, sugar, cinnamon powder, vanilla and almond extract(optional) and keep aside for 10-15mins. (This helps the fruits to mix with the sugar well)

3. Fill the fruit mixture into the pie crust and cut the butter into small cubes and scatter it on the pie filling.
4. Remove the pie dough from the fridge/freezer(It's easier to work with the dough if it is chilled) . On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie dough to about 12 inches.
5. Cut into strips with even thickness and arrange them around your pie dish with some space between each strip (around 5strips on one side)
6. Then place another 5-6 strips perpendicular to the earlier placed strips. Cut off any excess length in the strips and fold and pinch together the tips on the pie dish. (If any pie dough is left over you may freeze it or simply line it around your pie dish)
7. Lightly brush some egg white on the lattice crust and sprinkle some sugar on top.
8. Cover the edges around your pie dish with aluminium foil leaving the centre open( this is to prevent the edges from burning) and place the Pie in the middle rack of your oven.
9. Bake for 40mins and then remove the foil and bake for another 15mins or until you see the cherry-blueberry filling bubbling and have a nice brown pie crust.
10. Place it on a cooling rack once done and cut into slices and serve with whipped cream or icecream, or enjoy it just as it is!


I had earlier shared this recipe on my CookEatShare profile but I thought it was worth sharing it again on my new blog. Enjoy your Pie!!

Sending this post to Bake Fest #1 Event hosted by Vardhini of Zesty Palette.
Sending this post to Bake with your Heart event hosted by Khushi.

-Manju 

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics Manju.. mouthwatering pie... yummmmmmm !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bindu,
    Thanks a lot for visiting my blog and posting such lovely comments :-) Do visit again.

    Cheers, Manju

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Manju, hopped over from another friend's blog - I think my first time here - The BB pie looks luscious and awesome :) I make them too - last time with phyllo dough -
    Cheers,
    priya
    Do check out my blog anniversary giveaways - only 1 week more

    http://priyasnowserving.blogspot.com/search/label/Blog%20Anniversary%20Giveaways%20on%20going

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Manju,
    That's a fantastic pie! Am glad you decided to blog. Following you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi manju,a fabulous pie recipe and deliciously done and captured .Luv ur recipes and following U.

    Dear Blogger Friend,Wish U a Warm and Happy Diwali.Enjoy the Festivities with taste-filled delights,Safe and Delicious Moments - Regards, Christy Gerald

    ReplyDelete
  6. That piece looks inviting.
    Will have one :-)
    (first time here)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Manju,
    First time here...You have got a lovely blog. Will follow you. Your pie looks exceptional !
    Shema George (www.lifescoops.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow Manju its look flavorful and so colorful!!
    do send your entries to the event
    Bake with your heart

    ReplyDelete

Thank You so much for visiting here. I would love to hear from you , please leave a comment or suggestion and Hope to see you again !