Oct 18, 2011

Oatmeal cookies with Raisins and Chocolate chips



To be frank, I don't like oatmeal so much. I just find it bland no matter what I add in the oatmeal like fruits or honey etc.
So it wasn't a big wonder that I had a whole packet of rolled oats sitting in my pantry for over a year , which I'm sure I had bought thinking of creating something exotic though what that is never came to mind.

Now when I became was pregnant I was crazy hungry all the time...bless my little boy for that! :-) And I had to eat healthy, and oatmeal is always mentioned as the best-to-have breakfast or snack item. I went for snack option and made these Oatmeal cookies with Raisins and Chocolate chips from the JoyOfBaking website. Original recipe only calls for raisins but I added chocolate chips too...Curbed my sweet tooth and the bland taste of Oats!

I was thinking of making these and sharing some at office, but I liked them so much , I ate the whole batch myself...oops!!...Ofcourse not in a day!!!
It was the perfect snack for me and healthy too. I followed the recipe exactly (except for my addition of chocolate chips and using Golden raisins instead of dark) and it came out really well.

Oatmeal Cookies with Raisins and Chocolate chips
Recipe source: JoyOfBaking


You'll need 
3 cups (260 grams) old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup (226 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup (210 grams) light or dark brown sugar
1/3 cup (65 grams) granulated white sugar
2 large Eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F with oven rack in the center of the oven and Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter and sugars until creamy and smooth     (about 2 - 3 minutes).
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
4. Beat in the vanilla extract.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon.
6. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and beat until incorporated.
7. Stir in the rolled oats, raisins and chocolate chips.
8. To make snack sized cookies, I used 1 tablespoon sized scoops of the cookie batter and placed them on the baking sheet , flattening each cookie.
[Orginal Recipe - For large cookies, use a generous 1/4 cup of batter (I like to use an ice cream scoop) and place six cookies on each baking sheet. Flatten the cookies slightly so they are about 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) thick.] 


9. Bake the cookies for about 14 -18 minutes ( I baked for 15minutes)  rotating the baking sheets halfway through the baking time. 
10. The cookies are done when golden brown around the edges but still a little soft in the centers. 
11. Remove from oven and let the cookies cool a few minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling. These cookies will keep several days at room temperature.
Note: The longer the cookies bake the crispier they will be.

Enjoy your day !!

Sending this post to Bake with your Heart event hosted by Khushi.


 Cookie Party hosted by Shema of Lifescoops









- Manju


4 comments:

  1. Good going Manju.
    Have fun :)

    Reeta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious looking cookies. Added you in my blogroll. And wishing you a happy pregnancy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Divya, and I'm not pregnant anymore :-) Sorry if you got that idea by reading my post...My little boy is 3months old now :-) I've made the correction in my post!

    Regards,
    Manju

    ReplyDelete

Thank You so much for visiting here. I would love to hear from you , please leave a comment or suggestion and Hope to see you again !