Oct 17, 2011

Yummy Guacamole


I love Guacamole , and every time I order a Burrito from Chipotle I have to have Guacamole with it.

I lived in Dubai for many years and as Avocados are not commonly used in Indian cooking , whenever I saw them in the supermarkets there, I used to always wonder what do you make with these ? :-)
I remember seeing a soup recipe once in a magazine there, I think it was a gazpacho (cold soup) made with Avocados and that is my first memory of having seen any recipe with these delicious 'butter pears' as they are fondly known otherwise.

I tried out this recipe by Barefoot Contessa from the food network site and it was amazing.
The few things I changed from the original recipe as per my taste was, I skipped the garlic (I'm not a fan of having raw garlic in my dishes, I love them cooked though!) , I like my Guacamole creamy and without chunks and I added some cilantro leaves for some added flavor.

Guacamole Recipe
Recipe source: Barefoot Contessa Cookbook on FoodNetwork site

You'll need:

  • 4 ripe Hass avocados
  • 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
  • 8 dashes hot sauce (I used Tabasco)
  • 1/2 cup small-diced red onion (1 small onion)
  • 1 large garlic clove, minced (I din't use this ingredient)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 medium tomato, seeded, and small-diced
  • 1/2 cup Cilantro leaves (optional)
Directions:
1. Cut the avocados in half ,remove the pits and scoop the flesh out of their shells into a large bowl.
2. Immediately add the lemon juice and using a potato masher , nicely mash the avocados.
3. Next add the hot sauce, onion, garlic (I din't add garlic), tomatoes, cilantro leaves (optional), salt and pepper and toss well. 
4. Check the seasoning and its ready to be eaten as a snack with Tortilla chips or as a spread over a burrito...Yumm!

Just a suggestion: Lime juice can also be used instead of lemon juice depending on your preference. 


- Manju

3 comments:

  1. Hi Manju..

    Thanks a lot for your recent visit to Pazham Pappadam Payasam and for the lovely comments. Hearty welcome to the foodie world...

    Guacamole is my fav and i never miss to gobble up the whole bowl whenever am at any Mexican restaurant. You have mastered to make it yummy as it says...

    See you around!

    Regards
    Suji

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful and you chose a great recipe to share with us. I am new to your blog and this was my first visit. You've created a great spot for your readers to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Suji and Mary for your visits to my blog and the lovely comments. Looking forward to sharing more recipes here, so do come back and visit :)

    Regards,
    Manju

    ReplyDelete

Thank You so much for visiting here. I would love to hear from you , please leave a comment or suggestion and Hope to see you again !