I love Guacamole , and every time I order a Burrito from Chipotle I have to have Guacamole with it.
I lived in Dubai for many years and as Avocados are not commonly used in Indian cooking , whenever I saw them in the supermarkets there, I used to always wonder what do you make with these ? :-)
I remember seeing a soup recipe once in a magazine there, I think it was a gazpacho (cold soup) made with Avocados and that is my first memory of having seen any recipe with these delicious 'butter pears' as they are fondly known otherwise.
I tried out this recipe by Barefoot Contessa from the food network site and it was amazing.
The few things I changed from the original recipe as per my taste was, I skipped the garlic (I'm not a fan of having raw garlic in my dishes, I love them cooked though!) , I like my Guacamole creamy and without chunks and I added some cilantro leaves for some added flavor.
Recipe source: Barefoot Contessa Cookbook on FoodNetwork site
- 4 ripe Hass avocados
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 8 dashes hot sauce (I used Tabasco)
- 1/2 cup small-diced red onion (1 small onion)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced (I din't use this ingredient)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium tomato, seeded, and small-diced
- 1/2 cup Cilantro leaves (optional)
1. Cut the avocados in half ,remove the pits and scoop the flesh out of their shells into a large bowl.
2. Immediately add the lemon juice and using a potato masher , nicely mash the avocados.
3. Next add the hot sauce, onion, garlic (I din't add garlic), tomatoes, cilantro leaves (optional), salt and pepper and toss well.
4. Check the seasoning and its ready to be eaten as a snack with Tortilla chips or as a spread over a burrito...Yumm!
Just a suggestion: Lime juice can also be used instead of lemon juice depending on your preference.