Nov 3, 2011

Fish curry in spicy Coconut gravy



Keralites are generally fish lovers. And my husband loves to have at least one fish item for Lunch or Dinner. I wouldn't be surprised why, as my Mother-in-Law is an expert cook and makes the most delicious fish curries and fish fry I've ever tasted.

At my house also we have fish quite often and one of my favorite Fish curry is this, which is made with ground whole corriander seeds and dry red chillies in a ground coconut based gravy. You can add Tomatoes , either as whole pieces or pureed to get a bit on tanginess to the gravy and it goes very well when served with rice.
Also the dish is not as spicy as the title suggests, you can adjust the spice level by reducing the dry red chillies while grinding.

The best thing about this dish is that you can use any fish of your choice. I prefer fleshy fish like Salmon , Tilapia or King fish. Its a simple and easy recipe and takes very little time to prepare.
I love this fish curry, its simply finger licking good ! The house smells so good while preparing this fish curry, you can smell the ground corriander, ginger and the curry leaves....mmmm.....yumm!! And it goes so well with rice, you don't need any other side dish!


I couldn't take any good snaps and was lucky enough to atleast click these, as my husband just went off with the curry as he couldn't wait anymore. I'm Happy Sad you can say ! :-) But hope you like these.
Again this recipe is another one from my mothers handwritten recipes which she gave me before my marriage. I'm so grateful to her for sharing them.

Fish curry in spicy Coconut gravy Recipe
Recipe source : My mom
You'll need:
Salmon - 2lbs ( any fish may be used)
Fresh grated coconut - 1 cup
Dry red chillies - 3-4 pieces
Corriander seeds - 2-3 tbsp
Water - 3-4 cups ( some for grinding and rest for the gravy)
Turmeric powder - 1.5 tsp
Ginger (cut into thin strips ) - 1/2  inch
Green chillies - 2-3 cut lengthwise
Roma Tomatoes - 2 (cut in quarters or ground to puree)
Meen puli (Tamarind) - 1-2 lemon sized pieces
Fenugreek powder - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig (4-5 leaves)
Salt to taste

Directions
1. Clean and cut the fish into small cubes.
2. Grind the coconut, dry red chillies, turmeric powder and corriander seeds into a fine paste with 2cups of water. If using tomato puree, add the tomatoes also at this point. ( you can reduce the amount of water for a thicker gravy)
3. Heat a non-stick deep bottomed pan on medium heat and pour the spice-coconut paste.
4. Add the ginger, green chillies, fenugreek powder and tamarind and let it come to a simmer.
5. Now add the fish, tomato pieces and curry leaves, salt and add 1cup water or as per the gravy required and let the mixture boil until the fish is cooked.
6. Serve hot with Rice.

Trust me and try this dish, you'll not be dissapointed. Enjoy!

-Manju

16 comments:

  1. Omg, super delicious curry..mouthwatering here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Keralites love to have fish curry. And this one would make any Keralite drool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightfully delicious Super Good fish curry Dear.My tastebuds r wet after seeing these clicks.Luv it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy n delicious curry ..adipoli combo with plain rice!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, a fish curry, sounds yummy - I love anything curry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks really tasty Manju - my fish curry recipe is very much different from this.... your description makes me want to try it very as soon as possible :)
    ~Sharada

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the gravy you have used with your fish. It really sounds delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Manju, Thanks for stopping by and leaving a kind words. :-) your fish curry is inviting me more. love to have some with steamed rice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First time to ur blog...Meen curry looks simply yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks a lot to all for your visits and lovely comments here. Yes this dish is absolutely tasty and I'm sure that you all will enjoy it!

    Regards,
    Manju

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhhhh this look soooo good! I love fish curry and almost never make it as I simply don't have a good recipe. Now I know where to look! Thank you so much for sharing such yummy fish curry Manju! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. excellent. I love to eat fish curry, but don't let to cook fish for long time. nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow...Fish curry looks really good Manju....I went for a vacation to india and enjoyed a lot of fish there...now missing home and mom's food :) Now I am finding it difficult to get into the grove of cooking :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank You so much for visiting here. I would love to hear from you , please leave a comment or suggestion and Hope to see you again !