Nov 10, 2011

Turnip Greens Stir fry with Potato


To be honest I was never a green leafy veggie lover :-) but my parents were very strict when it came to eating healthy and I had to eat whatever was served. I gobbled it down to be precise without chewing ;-)
Spinach (Palak) used to be the most cooked green leafy veggie at home, and my mom would prepare it as a stirfry with coconut (thoran) or mayb add it to lentil soup (daal) or sometimes make Palak Paneer (spinach cooked in Indian cottage cheese) , which somehow I liked!

Well whichever way it was cooked, I never liked the taste. Now I'm sure you are thinking I am writing about the wrong dish here talking about Spinach when ideally my post is on Turnip greens !
Don't worry, now coming to my main dish here, it was my mother-in-law who introduced me to this leafy dish. She convinced me that its tastes good and persuaded me to give it a try, and was I glad I did!

Since it was my first try my MIL suggested to add potato so that in case I din't like the taste of the Turnip greens I would atleast have a potato to save my day :-)
Not only did it taste good, it wasn't too watery or soggy as how spinach would be when cooked, and it had a pretty good leafy taste and no weird smell. Thank you Mummy!! :-)


I prepared it as our usual Kerala style thoran with some grated coconut, but you can skip the coconut if you want. I have already given a small heads-up about thoran in my post on Beetroot thoran .

Turnip Greens Stir fry with Potato Recipe
Recipe source: My Mother-in-law
You'll Need:
Turnip Greens - 1 bunch
Red Onion - 1 large finely chopped / sliced  ( 2-3 medium size)
Potato - 1 medium size ( cut into small cubes )
Grated Coconut - 2tbsp
Garlic clove - 1
Green chillies - 2-3
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
For tempering :
Canola oil - 2 tbsp (can use any vegetable/cooking oil)
Mustard seeds - 1-2 tsp
Dry red chilli - 1-2
Curry leaves - 1 sprig (4-5 leaves)

Directions:
1. Wash the Turnip Greens well and place them on a kitchen towel or stand the leaves in a bowl to drain the water off. Chop the leaves into thin strips.
2. Using a mixer grinder, pulse together the grated coconut with garlic and green chillies , make sure it does not become a paste.
3. In a large frying pan heat the oil and crack mustard seeds , then add the dry red chillies and curry leaves and saute for 1 minute.
4. Add the red onions, cubed potato, turmeric powder and add salt and saute until onions becomes soft and pink.
5. Now toss in the leaves and cover and cook until the leaves are tender. (for about 5 -10mins)
6. Add the grinded coconut mixture and cook with the lid off on medium heat until the potato gets cooked and the entire thoran is dry.
7. Serve hot with plain rice and maybe some curry if you like.

I must however mention that I still cook Spinach at home and consider it to be very healthy , but Turnip Greens would be my favorite green leafy dish so far !! :-)
And according to my MIL Radish greens also taste quite nice , similar to Turnip greens, so I guess my next trial would be on Radish greens ;-)

Enjoy your meal !!

I'm sending this post to
1.  Fast Food not Fat Food Event #7 hosted by Priya of Now Serving
2. Healthy Cooking Challenge : Healthy Lunch event guest hosted by Kavi of Edible Entertainment and hosted by Smitha of My Tasty Curry.




- Manju




22 comments:

  1. Thank you Julie.....again you are quick to comment,I appreciate that! :)

    Regards,
    Manju

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Isa for those beautiful words, you just made my day :-D

    Regards,
    Manju

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a nice combo. I do kootu or sometimes stir fry with turnip greens. Nice clicks too.

    Vardhini
    Checkout my 200th Post Giveaway
    Event: Bake Fest
    Event: Dish it Out - Soy and Tomatoes

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are welcome Manju! Thanks for following my blog. You are the best, don't care about the rest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a great recipe. I always tend to pass turnip greens by in the grocery store but looks like next time around I will definitely get it :) Thanks to MIL too:)
    USMasala

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely combination of flavors. This really sounds delicious. My family loves this kind of dish. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. very healthy stirfry. Till now I haven't used turnip greens. Must give a try. Attracting picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks a lot you all for so much interest in this dish and fr leaving your valuable comments.
    Aipi and Uma - I also used to pass the green lefty section at the store without a glance at these leaves n yes thanks to my MIL now we all know :)

    Regards,
    Manju

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is so beautiful and sounds just delicious! I don't think I ever saw turnip greens look this good! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thoran with greens for me is mostly spinach or chard. Must try turnip greens the next time. This recipe makes me want to :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is another healthy entry - looks Uber yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Manju. Nice recipe. Now I can use the turnip greens also which we throw away.:)

    But you may want to rethink using canola oil. It's GM and basically the processing ensures that it's already rancid when it's bottled.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried this today but without the potatoes and with mustard oil and I have to say that it's uber delicious.Who could guess that greens could taste so good. Thanks. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Manju what a great recipe! Love the turnip taste not lost in the spices.
    Nelly

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, great recipe! Love that the greens keep their flavor. No lost in the seasoning.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You so much for visiting here. I would love to hear from you , please leave a comment or suggestion and Hope to see you again !