Nov 14, 2011

Mango Gateau with Peaches and Cream



Happy Children's Day to all..... I know I am very late in wishing and in India its already the next day after Children's day, but better late than never right and I have a reason :-)
Well I'd been dreading today's date since past two months as today was my baby's vaccination day!!!
I thought he would be crying the whole time and may get a fever like last time, but he totally surprised me when he cried just for 2mins after the shots and was back to his happy bubbly self again. He amazes me everyday!! :-) So its a Happy Children's Day afterall....

Now coming to this post , I made this cake sometime back for a potluck at a friends house and it was the first time I tried baking a sponge cake!
Finally I got a good recipe and idea from my friend Ria's blog and it was simple and very easy. It came out really well and looked beautiful and was simply delicious. Everyone at the potluck loved it !
I spent so much time trying to decorate the cake ( as I was simply excited about making it look good) that I dint get much time to take good photographs before going for the potluck party.

The sponge cake came out really soft and perrrrrfect! The only thing I might try to change next time while making this cake would the amount of eggs used, but I guess that's what made the cake so so soft!! It was firm yet simply melt-in-your mouth good! 


 A Gateau is a French style sponge cake traditionally made with cream and may be multilayered.
I had some Mango pulp, Whipping cream and canned peaches at home and thought of adding those in the cake where I flavored my whipped cream with Mango pulp and used the juice from the canned peaches to moisten the cake and decorated the cake with peaches (and few strawberries).


I didn't want a big/thick sponge cake so I poured half the cake batter into my flower shaped cake pan and that cake I got to keep to myself and got to share some slices with Ria and few other friends and you :-)


Mango Gateau with Peaches and Cream Recipe
Recipe source : Ria's Collection
You'll need
For sponge cake:
Whole eggs - 6
Sugar - 1.5cups
All purpose flour - 2 cups
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp

For the cream (frosting):
Heavy whipping cream - 1 cup
Mango pulp - 1 cup
Powdered sugar- 2tbsp

For decoration:
Canned peaches with juice - 1 can
Strawberries - 4-5

Directions
For the sponge cake:
1. Preheat Oven to 350F.
2. In a bowl beat together the eggs and sugar until nice and fluffy (approx 5-10mins without stopping)
3. Whisk together the flour and baking powder and slowly incorporate the flour into the egg-sugar mixture.
4. Grease a 9 inch baking tray slightly with butter and pour the cake batter in the cake pan. ( I poured only half the batter in my round cake pan , and poured the rest into my flower shaped pan)
5. Bake for 25-20mins or until a tooth pick inserted into cake comes out clean and let it cool before removing from the cake pan.  


For the cream frosting:
1. In a bowl beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks appear and slowly add the powdered sugar.
2. Fold in the mango pulp and make your mango cream.
3. Make two halves of the cake and pour some juice from the canned peaches on the inside (this further moistens and flavours the cake) and then put the mango cream and some mango pulp over it.

4. Place the other half of the cake over this cream and pulp layer and coat the outer layers of the cake also with the mango cream and level it out smoothly with a butter knife.
5. Decorate the cake with sliced peaches and whipped cream. Strawberries also give a really good taste with the mango cream.

Suggestion: If the cake top is uneven or bulged out after baking and cooling , then using a large serrated knife slowly cut the bulged portion and shape it and level it and invert the cake before frosting ,so that the bottom side of the cake becomes the cakes top part and looks neat.

Sharing the recipe with:
1.  Bake Fest #1 Event hosted by Vardhini of Zesty Palette.


2.  Tasty Tuesday hosted by Cami.
3.  Bake with your Heart event hosted by Khushi.



Enjoy your day!!

-Manju




19 comments:

  1. Happy Childrens Day, Manju!

    Goodness me. That looks DELICIOUS :) I think I might make it for Thanksgiving...will just need to get a man like that. :) YUM!

    Thank you for linking up to my Tasty Tuesday linky! You rock!

    <3-Cami from First Day of My Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUper delicious cakes, seriously looks fabulous with wonderful presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Cami - thanks a lot for those lovely words!
    @priya - thank you dear!

    Regards,
    Manju

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful creation. It looks delicious and your photos of it are wonderful. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so beautiful n delicious. Awesome clicks as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very lovely sweet recipe..lovely clicks!!Delicious n mouthwatering recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, looks wonderfully delicious!! no words to expess how nice the pictures are!!!

    ~Sharada

    ReplyDelete
  8. Manju, this is one of the prettiest cakes ever! I would invite you to my house anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @julie - thanks a lot dear for those warm comments.
    @Sharada - blushing here :-)
    @ Cafe sucre Farine - I'm so touched, thank you dear. Would love to visit you too!

    Regards,
    Manju

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Manju! I think you should open a restaurant or pastry shop in Turkey. I will be your best customer!!!

    ♥Love from Antalya, Turkey♥

    http://antalya-magnificent-city.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Isa : Oh, thats so sweet, I'm not an expert baker yet, these are all my experiments which due to some luck turned out well. I've had my share of disasters too :-)

    Regards,
    Manju

    ReplyDelete
  12. that looks super delicious. Mango, Peaches and Whipped Cream - all of my favorite things in one! yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simply beautiful. Thanks for sharing this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely cake with an amazing idea! Just love your presentation! Thanks for posting to my event, keep blogging and send as many entries as you can!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely dessert. Thanks for stopping by my blog........glad to follow you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You so much for visiting here. I would love to hear from you , please leave a comment or suggestion and Hope to see you again !