Mar 18, 2013

Chicken Noodle Soup

Soups are getting a lot of popularity these days. It’s considered like a wholesome meal when paired with a half sandwich or salad. I prefer hot soups but I know of many people who like them cold as well. Some soups are broth based (or clear soups) while the others are thick soups (either made with pureed veggies or creamy versions) and I like all kinds. And in these days of winter there's nothing comforting than a nice warm bowl of hot soup!

Chicken Noodle Soup is one of my favorites. It’s a classic comfort soup that I always love to order when eating out, it’s not very heavy and yet is filling with a combination of colorful veggies, chicken and noodles in a flavorful and warm chicken broth base. Fresh homemade Chicken broth is best, but I’ve used store-bought low sodium chicken broth. For the noodles I used Elbow Macaroni. I also added some whole peppercorns and Italian seasonings which added a huge burst of flavor.

For some added flavor I also like to add some fresh herbs like cilantro or parsley and squeeze a little bit of lemon juice in the soup. Apart from all this, it’s the easiest and quickest soup you can prepare. I love to enjoy it fresh and hot with some crushed crackers on top.
It's a simple yet hearty meal in itself and I usually fill up my tummy with just the soup...It has Carbs in the form of Noodles, Proteins in the form of Chicken , Vitamins and Minerals provided by the hearty Veggies and lots of flavor and goodness from the garlic,fresh herbs, lemon juice and seasonings and not to forget the yummy broth....mmmm i just love the broth!

This recipe makes enough to serve 4-6 people. And in my opinion you can use any Veggie of choice. Add red chilli flakes if you want extra spice.

Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe

You’ll need
Onion (diced) – 1 whole
Garlic cloves (minced) – 2 large
Carrots (diced) – 2 medium
Celery stalks (diced) – 2 medium
Cooked Chicken (cut/shredded into small pieces) – 1 or 2 cups
Olive Oil – 1 tblsp
Cooked Noodles (Elbow Macaroni) – 2 cups
Chicken broth – 5 cups (I used low sodium broth)
Whole peppercorns – 1 tblsp
Italian Seasoning – 2 tsp
Lemon juice – juice of half lemon
Chopped fresh Cilantro or Parsley – a handful
Salt – to taste or as needed

Directions
1. In a deep pot ( I used my pressure cooker without the lid) , heat the olive oil and sauté the whole peppercorns for a minute and then cook the Garlic, Onions, Carrots and Celery for few minutes until tender.
2. Add the cooked chicken pieces and chicken broth and let it simmer for about 15mins.
3. Next add the cooked pasta/noodles and continue to cook for another 5 mins.
4. Finally add the lemon juice, Italian seasonings and Cliantro and turn off the heat. Check for seasonings (add more salt if needed)


I made this soup for a potluck at a friend’s house and everyone enjoyed it. My lil’Appu came back again and again with mouth wide open to drink the soup and he loved the soft carrots, noodles and chicken pieces, he’s my best and favorite 21 month old food critic ;-)

It’s a mild soup with lots of flavor and less spice and it can be enjoyed regardless of it being Summer or Winter! So go ahead, make some soup and enjoy a nice warm bowl with your family....and don't forget to share your tasty experiences with me :-)

Some other soups that you may also like:


-Manju


20 comments:

  1. Delicious soup.. Perfect for the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this soup looks really great for any kinda weather, and what a coincidence even i posted a soup a little while ago. Btwn the pictures look fab dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pass me that bowl of yummy warm soup...Looks super..Love the clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drooling here...yummy refreshing soup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks delicious, manju... please pass on that bowl to me... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hearty & healthy bowl of hot soup!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect for a winter evening n the clicks a awesome

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a good hot bowl of soup too. I have never found a liking for cold soups either. This looks like a definite comfort soup...it's especially good if you not feeling well and this will warm you right up and make you feel better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The weather is nasty here, i can have this filling soup rite now for my lunch, will definitely keeps me warm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so comforting for a cold day :)

    Spicyfoood

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks so delectable.. And nice clicks too...

    ReplyDelete
  12. very very beautiful presentation manju.. perfect soup..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would never get bored with a bowl of soup. Yours look so comforting and delicious -- perfect year round. Thanks for sharig.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My little one loves chicken noodle soup. I liked the closeup view of the soup.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That soup looks delicious and comforting!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete

Thank You so much for visiting here. I would love to hear from you , please leave a comment or suggestion and Hope to see you again !