Jan 2, 2015

Baked Turkey Meatballs in a Berry BBQ Sauce

Welcome to the first post this New Year. I'm not much into making resolutions, but I make plans/goals (well a somber resolution I guess ;-) ). Just few small plans of what I should achieve or what my family should achieve in the new year and generally try to achieve atleast those goals. I love a fresh start to anything and like to consider the New Year as a perfect way to make yourself believe in starting afresh to several things that you slept over in the previous year.

Well, last year I had shared a quick and simple recipe for baked Turkey meatballs. I find them so easy to make and so versatile that it can be transformed into an appetizer or entree as required. I have used them in soups, spicy masala gravy dishes and also transformed them into a bunch of appetizer dishes.

One of our favorite was this Berry BBQ sauce that I made to coat the meatballs with. It was fruity, spicy, sweet yet tart, in all it was a fusion of all kinds of flavors. I actually made the Berry BBQ sauce using some leftover homemade Mixed Berry compote....yes, fruit compote which I used for some cupcakes :-) 
I love fusion flavors like Mango chicken, Orange chicken etc...so that's how this idea came to my mind to convert the mixed berry compote into a bbq sauce.


I made this once to take to a friends place for a casual get-together and she came back asking for the recipe and wanted me to quickly share it on the blog. I wasn't sure if I would get it on the blog so fast, so I gave her the recipe and she promptly tried it and gave a full thumbs up on the recipe.
I again took these for a Thanksgiving potluck and there too everyone raved about the taste and wanted to know how it was made :)

The inspiration for the BBQ berry sauce is Asha's recipe and I spiced it up a bit based on our tastes and availability of ingredients and added some herbs for bit more flavor. It's a very adaptable recipe and I can't wait to try out more varities with it.


Baked Turkey Meatballs in Berry BBQ Sauce
Makes: 35-40 meatballs

You’ll Need
For Turkey Meatballs
1 Lb Ground Turkey
¼ cup Breadcrumbs 
¼ cup grated/powdered Parmesan cheese 
½ cup chopped Red Onions
1 clove minced Garlic
1 large Egg
½ cup chopped Cilantro leaves
1 Tblsp Mint leaves
2 tsp crushed Black Pepper
¼ tsp Salt

For Berry BBQ Sauce
1 cup Mixed Berry Compote (Grinded to a puree) **
1 Tblsp Canola/Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1/2 tsp Fennel seeds
1 Red Onion finely diced
2 Tblsp Minced Ginger
2-3 tsp Garam Masala
4 Green chillies thinly sliced / 2 tsp Red Chilli powder
4 Tblsp Lime juice/Lemon juice
4 Tblsp White Vinegar
2 Tblsp Molasses / Jaggery
2 Tblsp Worcestershire Sauce/Soy Sauce
Corriander Leaves / Mint Leaves as needed for Garnish

Directions
For Baked Turkey Meatballs
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 F.
2. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well with hands until properly incorporated.
3. Use a melon baller to scoop out equal sized balls and place them on a baking sheet covered with wax/parchment paper. This makes about 35-40 mini meatballs. Use an icecream scoop or Tablespoon for bigger meatballs.
4. Bake in oven for 13-15 mins.  (Do not over-bake). Let the meatballs cool on a wire rack.

For Berry BBQ Sauce
1. Heat Oil in a saucepan.  Add the fennel, seeds cumin seeds, red onion, green chillies and saute well.
2. Add all the other ingredients and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes or until it is almost reduced to half it’s original quantity.

Finally, combine around 15-20 of the baked turkey meatballs into the Berry Bqq sauce and simmer for 5 mins on low heat. Turn off the heat. Garnish with chopped coriander or Mint leaves.

Note: You may have to double the recipe for the bbq sauce for coating the whole batch of baked meatballs.

** Mixed Berry Compote:
Add 1 cup frozen mixed berries, 3-4 Tblsp  Sugar and 1 TBlsp Lemon Juice in a pan and cook until the sugar melts and the compote thickens. Use 2-3 tsp cornstarch to thicken the compote if needed. Let it cool completely and use as needed.


-Manju

6 comments:

  1. The meatballs are deliciously yummy I can say from the pics itself. A strong spicy sweety taste .. aargh already drooling over the pics Manju :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore meatballs and these have me hungry this morning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to you and your beautiful family!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! These look so inviting. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The turkey balls looks so juicy and perfect. Want to give it a try

    ReplyDelete

Thank You so much for visiting here. I would love to hear from you , please leave a comment or suggestion and Hope to see you again !