Nov 11, 2015

Kesar Badam Peda | Diwali special sweet with condensed milk


Wishing everyone a Very Very Happy and fun filled Diwali!!
I look forward to Diwali every year to try out some new Indian sweet and snack recipes. I don't make too many Indian desserts thinking they might be difficult, but I was amazed at how easy these Kesar Badam Peda turned out to be.

My parents are visitng us this Diwali making it all the more special and mummy and I had made some Mango-Coconut Laddoos last weekend. Mummy had never made a Mango laddo and she and daddy enjoyed it. 
We also made couple of other snacks like Diamond shaped Namak Pare, Sweet Boondi last weekend and last night even tried a hand at some Cashew Murukku and Ribbon Pakoda. 
I'm yet to share all these recipes on the blog, which I will share shortly. We've just been so busy spending time with each other and visiting friends and their family that blogging is taking a back seat. :-)



I had some condensed milk left over after making the Mango Laddoos, so to make use of it we tried this super easy Peda recipe which mummy had learnt from a friend while she used to stay in Mumbai couple of years ago. The recipe was actually for Dhoodh Peda (Milk peda) but I did not have Milk powder and instead substituted with Almond powder and made them as Badam Peda (Almond Peda).
The addition of some saffron flavored milk adds a unique and amazing flavor to these sweet chewy fudge like sweet. I also love the way how the saffron stands show out in the peda. 



The whole thing comes together in just about 10-15 mins, it's that easy. I tried taking some stepwise pics which'll help me as well when i want to make these another time :-D
If you have couple of Diwali parties to attend and haven't yet decided on what to take, make these...they look festive and seems like you slogged a lot in the kitchen to prepare and tastes amazing too...no on needs to know how quick and easy they are to make :-)

They taste chewy and fudge like and has a lovely nutty flavor of the badam. The sweetened condensed milk adds enough sweetness and does not require any additional sugar. The saffron definitely elevates the flavor.



Kesar Badam Peda
Makes 16-18 small peda

You’ll Need
1 cup Almond powder
200 gms (about ½ tin)  Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 teaspoons Ghee
1 Tablespoon warm Milk
A pinch of Saffron strands
Chopped Pista/Almonds for garnish

Directions
1. Sift 1 cup almond powder through a sieve. Add a pinch of saffron to 1 tablespoon warm milk. Chop the pistachios for garnish and keep aside.

2. In a bowl mix together the kesar-milk mixture, condensed milk and Almond powder and make a smooth paste.

3. Heat a non-stick pan and add this paste and cook on medium heat until it starts becoming thick. Add 2 teaspoons ghee at this stage and continue to cook until it starts coming together forming a smooth dough and should come off the pan without sticking.

4. Place the peda dough on a greased plate. Grease your palms and while still warm, start rolling out bite-sized balls from the dough and flatten it slightly. Press down the centre and arrange them on the plate. Add the chopped pistachios as garnish in the center.



I have some other simple Diwali recipes which I have tried over the years. Sharing the link in case you want to try any...I hope you will :)
Mango Coconut Laddoo
Kaju Katli (sweet Cashew Fudge)
Gajar Ka Halwa (Carrot Halwa)
Spiced Mango Kalakhand (Ginger spiced Mango Fudge)
Whole Wheat Murukku
Ring Murukku

Happy Diwali once again to all my dear redaers, family and friends!

-Manju

8 comments:

  1. pedas look super tempting,Manju and am drooling over the platter with all yummy delicacies...Am sure u had a great Diwali..Belated wishes to u n family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best Wishes on your Diwali celebrations with your family. Your photos are wonderful and your sweet treat looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an amazing looking peda... looking forward to your other delicacies... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of a sweet that isn't too sweet! These sound so delicious to have with a cup of tea or strong coffee. I am happy to have had the chance to meet you and your husband yesterday at the MN Bloggers Conference. Now I get to enjoy your wonderful site and impress my daughter's friend when she visits from India! You do a wonderful job with your pictures-I could easily follow all the steps. www.new framereference.blogspot.com and www.samandcoffee.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a coincidence! We posted a malai peda recipe in our blog on the same day. Your peda looks delicious. I love the twist you made to incorporate almond powder instead of milk powder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Manju

    I have tried contacting you but for whatever reason my comments wouldn't go through on the carnival cake site. I hope this one does.

    You did an amazing job on the cake btw! It looks so gorgeous. I have been searching high and low for a white chocolate ganache recipe. I see that you have used it to cover the cake. Can you please suggest a brand of white chocolate and the recipe too? I am based in Houston and I need the cake for December (its not freezing but I don't expect humidity)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      I'm glad to read your comment and that it finally came through. Sorry you were having trouble adding a commment.
      For the ganache I used a high quality white chocolate which we get at a local store here named Lunds & Byerlys.
      for White Chocolate Ganache I use 3 parts chocolate to 1 part cream i.e. 900g of chocolate to 300g of cream and then i simmer the cream until it just starts to bubble and pour it over the chocolate and whisk until the chocolate melts and becomes smooth. Cool it overnight and use next day. Should be like peanut butter consistency. I colored the ganache by adding gel food color in the chocolate before adding cream. Hope this helps. I hope you'll share your creation with us :)

      -Manju

      Delete

Thank You so much for visiting here. I would love to hear from you , please leave a comment or suggestion and Hope to see you again !